Hye Thyme Cafe: Nutella Stuffed Pizza Fritte

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Nutella Stuffed Pizza Fritte

Nutella Stuffed Pizza Fritte : Hye Thyme Cafe


My nephew and his lovely bride recently came home from their honeymoon and told us about their favorite treat they sampled along the way. They described it as a pizza fritte (fried pizza dough) that was stuffed with Nutella and sprinkled with powdered sugar and cinnamon.

I decided to give it a try to see if I could duplicate it for them at home.

INGREDIENTS :
1 bag fresh pizza dough
Nutella
Oil for frying (I used canola)
Powdered Sugar
Cinnamon
Flour
  1. Lightly flour your work surface and roll or stretch the dough out very thin
  2. Dip a 3" round cookie or biscuit cutter in flour and cut out circles
  3. Add about 1t Nutella to the center of each round and pinch the edges together to seal into a ball (helps to flour your fintertips)
  4. Place seam-side down on lightly floured surface
  5. Without crowding the pan, deep fry in small batches until golden
  6. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to soak up any excess oil
  7. Serve warm topped with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and cinnamon


1 bag fresh pizza dough
Fill with 1t Nutella and pinch into balls


Deep fry until golden


Dust with powdered sugar and cinnamon
I swear there is cinnamon on there somewhere!

Nutella Stuffed Pizza Fritte : Hye Thyme Cafe


So, how did it work out? Pretty good, but I don't think it's close enough to what they had. And, you want to be careful when pinching the seams shut. There were a few where I had too much dough bunched up in that spot, so they weren't cooked though there.

What makes me think they're not right (although they are fairly awesome), is the picture I found from their trip of what I'm guessing is what they were talking about ...

Hye Thyme Cafe: Nutella Stuffed Pizza Fritte


This looks like a lighter dough to me and almost like it was glazed or soaked in something. I'm wondering if it was a kind of yeast donut batter that was filled and then glazed and powdered. Ideas anyone?

It's a work in progress, but for now, I have no problem enjoying the pizza version!  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...