Hye Thyme Cafe: Jalapeno Baked Bean Cornbread Cups

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Jalapeno Baked Bean Cornbread Cups

Jalapeno Baked Bean Cornbread Cups : Hye Thyme Cafe


I was walking down the international aisle in the grocery store one day and noticed a can of Goya Jalapeno Baked Beans. I think I may have seen a bacon version of baked beans somewhere along the line, but other than that, as far as I knew, they were pretty much plain or vegetarian. I had never noticed any other flavors before. Baked beans are one of those things that I enjoy when I eat them, but I never really think of. I'll have them every once in a blue moon with a ham or hot dogs, and that usually means either B&M or Bush's.  

I was thinking that if I liked them, I would try a homemade version. You know me, if it's got jalapeño in the title, I have to try it! As for homemade baked beans, the only version I ever had was when I was a kid and a friend's Mom would make them. Sorry Mrs. G, but I thought they were gross! That may have just been my kid's palate though ... I'd totally try them again now, I swear!

Since I didn't think to pick up the aforementioned ham or hot dogs to go along with the beans, I looked around the kitchen to see if there was anything to try them with or whether I would have to hold off until I went shopping again. That's when I spied the box of "Jiffy" Corn Muffin Mix in the pantry. By the way, that's also about the time I noticed that they are actually black beans and that the mixture has sweet corn and red bell peppers in it - very tasty.

I don't know about you, but I've seen about a bazillion posts on Pinterest and elsewhere of people baking cookies, etc. on the backs of muffin tins to create fill-able cups. I made the mistake of trying that once - with what I thought was a stiff enough cookie dough to hold up to the test, but it just made a big mess. With that in mind, I decided to try a different approach and came up with this recipe.

I have to confess that I did this twice. I threw in a tray of the "cups" with a second tray of regular muffins, and the cups rose and spread all over the top of the pan, so I did a second batch and tweaked the method, again with a tray of regular muffins. That worked out much better, but I did notice that they rose slightly higher on one side, so you might want to make a note to rotate the pans half-way through baking.


INGREDIENTS :
1 box "Jiffy" Corn Muffin Mix
1 egg
1/3 c milk (I was out of milk and used yogurt instead)
1 can Goya Jalapeno Baked Beans
Optional: Fresh chopped cilantro, sour cream, etc. for garnish
PAM Baking

  1. Per the pkg instructions, mix together the corn muffin mix, egg, and milk (or yogurt) and set aside for 5" to let crown
  2. Spray the inside of one mini muffin pan with cooking spray
  3. Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet or over foil to avoid a mess in the event of spillover
  4. Fill each of the wells with batter, just slightly LESS than half-way full
  5. Scrunch up pieces of aluminum foil into logs just a bit shorter than the height of your pan
  6. Generously spray the underside of a second mini muffin pan
  7. Place one foil log on each side of the filled pan (doesn't matter whether sides or ends), then place the second pan over the first, resting on the foil to allow the batter to rise while also leaving indents/wells
  8. Bake at 400° per pkg instructions
  9. As noted above, rotate the pan half-way through the baking time
  10. When you can start to smell them, and they should be just about done (about 12-15" in), very carefully remove the top tray and return to the oven for 3" more
  11. Heat the beans on the stove top
  12. Spoon the beans into the cornbread cups, topping with fresh herbs or other garnish

One package Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix and one can Goya Jalapeno Baked Beans

Oops!  You can see from my first attempt that the foil wasn't high enough, so when the batter rose, it had no option but to ooze over the top of the pan.

Oops - the foil wasn't high enough here
Major spillage as a result of close quarters









Ahhh, that's MUCH better!

Suspend the top tray just above the lower tray with foil
The bottoms of the top tray created the wells in the muffins.









Jalapeno Baked Bean Cornbread Cups : Hye Thyme Cafe

Jalapeno Baked Bean Cornbread Cups : Hye Thyme Cafe


OK, so let's figure this out ... I made one batch (1 dozen) and a dozen regular mini muffins the first time, but that turned out to be too much batter in the pan. I did the same thing the second time - one batch of each, but less batter in the pan for the cups. I'm thinking if you were making a batch that was meant to be ALL cups, you'd probably get 3 dozen out of it.

This would be a great idea for chili as well. Fill the cups with chili, then top with shredded cheese and pop them under the broiler for a few seconds to melt. Yummmmm!

And yes, I will most definitely be attempting a homemade version of the baked beans, but in the meantime, give the Goya version a try.  I think you'll like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...