Hye Thyme Cafe: Finish the Sentence Friday: "One Halloween, I ... "

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, October 25, 2013

Finish the Sentence Friday: "One Halloween, I ... "



One Halloween I ... 

made a clown out of myself!  [Sorry, I didn't have a pic of me dressed as an ass, so I went with clown.]

I loved Halloween when I was little.  Usually, Mom would make our costumes, and Dad would do our make-up, carve pumpkins with us, and build a scarecrow.  The one Halloween that stands out, however, actually had very little to do with Halloween.

I ran up the street to a convenience store for something, and as I was walking out, I breezed past an older gentleman and thought huh, that's funny, he's got a jacket like Uncle Jay.  [A silver jacket with a fox on the back.  Uncle Jay was my Mom's brother-in-law, and The Silver Fox was what everyone called him.]  This guy even kinda looks like Uncle Dave [Jay's brother who looks more like Bing Crosby]. I thought that was funny since I was in Massachusetts and they all lived in Louisiana...and home I went.

So, of course, I walk in the house and my Mom is on the phone - yup, with Dave, who happened to be in town and wanted to pop in to see us but needed directions.  He knew he was in the right area but didn't know how to get to the house.

Uh, yeah, I know where he is, I'll go get him ...

The funny thing is that when I got home again and took off my jacket, I realized that I had been shaving creamed at some point, but I never saw anyone else.  You don't think it was Uncle Dave, do you???  

Clowning around at 4 yrs old

Probably not where you want to pose your 5-year old - standing on one foot leaning over into the opening of the stairwell ...  














If I ever go back to being a hobo, I understand there's a great new train system in town.
Lots of train cars to hop.



OK, a few things are odd here.  First, there are pics of me getting made up, but none when completed.  Second, from the head-on shot, I'm guessing my father recently caught up to me with his barber kit ... and no, he was not a barber.  Thanks a lot Dad!  Third, I'm just noticing that in the shot on the left, for the one and only time, I can actually see a resemblance between my sister and I!  













I must have been shooting for "good witch" this year.   Dad had made a big crooked plaster nose with warts on it, but since my nose is green here, I'm guessing that was another year.  See, a spooky black dog is just as good as any old black cat.  Gotta love the Dr. Sholl's and  socks. They really round out the costume, don't you think?  



So, what was your most memorable Halloween???


*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

Feel free to share in the comments below, on Facebook or Twitter using hashtag #FTSF, or if you're a blogger, link up with one of the host blogs:








24 comments:

  1. Seriously loved seeing you in all your glory from Halloween's past. I seriously tried to find more photos of myself, but culdn't only find the one when I was a kid. So jealous that you have so many from back then. But you look great and thank you so much for sharing with us. Happy almost Halloween!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I hit POST about four seconds ago for a comment on your site when this comment popped up. Thought you must be a speed reader. ;)

      Delete
  2. Omg - the Dr. Scholl's with the socks - hilarious! I'm impressed you still have all those photos. You just read about my most memorable Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the socks kind of make sense because that was in MA, so it was cold out. Sadly, I have to admit to often walking around like that in the summer as well. Don't know what it was about me and knee socks back then?!?

      Delete
  3. Oh how funny! Loved your story, and those pics are great! So nostalgic... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that's me...I can pick out the obscure continuity errors in movies and notice a spacing error in text from six miles away, but walk past someone I actually know, and I'm completely clueless!!

      Delete
  4. Your photos are awesome and I had to chuckle out loud about you standing on one leg over the open stairway! Each time my son gets near the stairs clowning around (see what I did there?), I get SO nervous! Awesome. Also - Dr. Scholls with socks. Been there. Actually I had to beg to get Dr. Scholls and then my mom got me the fake (cheaper) kind. Sigh. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would be my Dad who gets credit for setting me on the precipice. He was usually the one behind the camera in those days. I used to LOVE my Dr. Scholl's! Of course, back in the day, I could get them for $12-$15. Now they're $40-85!!!!!!!!! I finally gave up years ago because with my last two pairs, the buckles would never stay closed. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a crazy coincidence with your uncle! Regardless of the shaving cream, you dressed up as a super-cute little clown. Those are adorable pictures:).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely was NOT expecting to see him there. I'm still stumped about the shaving cream though. Must have been a Ninja! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha! did you ask your uncle if it was him? Maybe he pretended it wasn't just to trick you - great story :) Love the photos too, especially you dressed as a witch, sitting on a dog with the Dr Scholls and socks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sticking with my Ninja theory. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all these pictures! Good thing they were saved after all this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm not THAT old!! It's not like they're daguerreotypes. ;)

      Delete
  11. Love that you have all these photos and how great that both your parents got so involved on Hallowe'en. I'm with you - a black dog is every bit as Hallowe'enish as a black cat. Our "first born" was Fergus the black lab. They don't come any cuter than labs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duke was a rescue and in very bad shape when we got him as a "baby," but sooooooooo cute ... tiny little body and ginormous paws. :)

      Delete
  12. I love this post. I always love train of thought. That's how I think and write. The best part? Uncle Dave at the convenience store! And him shave creaming you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still hoping it wasn't him that did that, but you never know. ;) I suppose it's better than getting Nair'ed, which was very common back in the day. I would have killed someone for that! I had awesome hair back then LOL.

      Delete
  13. Hmmm... I tried to comment and google got mad. I wanted to say how much I love your stream of consciousness about your halloween forays. And the fact that you actually considered Uncle Dave shave creamed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, sorry - maybe that was because we were in here typing at the same time?? I did come up though - see above... :)

      Delete
  14. I loved the story about uncle Dave :-D So great to look at your childhood photos and to be able to attach the warmth of your story to actual images. Like Dana, I'm impressed you kept them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a photo hoarder. That was always my biggest fear about if you ever have a fire ... would I be able to save the family photos and my jewelry??? Thanks to technology nowadays, I was able to get rid of most of the pictures to free up space (keeping the ones I'd be likely to actually frame and set out) but have the rest scanned and stored on a flash drive so I still have them when I want to take a stroll down memory lane, etc. :)

      Delete
  15. How great you have all those photos of your costumes. I just have vague memories of mine. Love the one of you as a hobo. Great expressions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I can remember where I was and what I was doing on a few other Halloween's, but I can't for the life of me remember what I was dressed up as.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...