Hye Thyme Cafe: Finish the Sentence Friday: "Once, in public, I saw somebody..."

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, October 10, 2013

Finish the Sentence Friday: "Once, in public, I saw somebody..."



When I read the lead-in for this week's Finish the Sentence Friday (Once, in public, I saw ...), I was immediately transported back to New Orleans.  I had some friends in for Mardi Gras one year and took them to the French Quarter for a few parades and a night of debauchery.  I would usually park my car at the office and walk over, but since I hadn't worked that day, I made the mistake of driving closer to all the action.  It was a nightmare of traffic trying to get out!

At one point, we were stuck at an intersection waiting for things to start moving, and I noticed something going on off to our right.  It was the back-side of a building, a street or two off Bourbon Street, so there was nothing going on there, yet we were looking at 15-20 guys in some sort of a line. 

I started to crack up laughing, and the laughter started to spread through the car as the guys I was schlepping around with me realized what was going on ... one was tempted to jump in line, but I threatened him with bodily injury.

I supposed it could be considered polite of them, but they were all standing in line to PEE in the corner of the building!!  Better than whipping it out just anywhere I suppose LOL.

That is one big problem with Mardi Gras!  There are definitely not enough restrooms or porta potties to go around.  Some of the bars and restaurants hand out tickets to grant access, so I made sure to plan ahead.  While I was at work one day, I sent the guys off to play in the quarter and get friendly with some bartenders.  If they wanted me to keep up with them drinking, they had to make sure I had access to a ladies room when I needed one!


*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

Feel free to share in the comments below, on Facebook or Twitter using hashtag #FTSF, or if you're a blogger, link up with one of the host blogs:




Next week's sentence will be:  "The best part of my day is ..."




14 comments:

  1. Chris, you were so smart to plan ahead and I will say I have never actually been to Mardi Gras, but always wanted to go. Maybe someday, but totally sounded like fun. Thanks for sharing and for linking up again with us!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually stayed out in Metairie, where I lived just outside the city. They had great parades there as well, without so much craziness, but when I had friends in from out of town, they definitely wanted the whole experience. ;)

      Delete
  2. That sounds crazy! But fun. I have never been to Mardi Gras, I will have to keep the bathroom thing in mind if I ever go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Mardi Gras is something everyone should experience at least once. Definitely do plan ahead though - it can get so bad, you'll be trying to pee hovering over a toilet while someone else is using the sink!! Gross. And if you can help it, go during a hear when it runs in Feb so it's cooler (cuts down on all that beer smell - and other aromas).

      Delete
  3. Ha! I've been to New Orleans but not for Mardi Gras--probably a good thing since I'm sure I wouldn't have been foresightful enough to plan potty breaks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I've learned from experience. I feel like those TV commercials are talking to me when they talk about planning your day around pit stops. I apparently have a bladder the size of a ping pong ball.

      Delete
  4. I've never been to Mardi Gras but was there one year for St. Patty's day and you're so right about the bathrooms! Luckily, we mostly hung out at Pat O'Brian's bar so we could use their potty. Love this story! And EW to them all peeing at the corner of the building!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! The first time I went to a St. Paddy's Day parade there, I made the mistake of going to a street with a "neutral ground" (median) in the middle and the parade came up one side then back down the other at some point. I was watching in one direction, and it was so long, it was already coming back on the other side when I heard a loud WHOOSH right by my ear, then a thud! Some guy the the "wine about to spill on the carpet" commercial dive across the grass to stop me from getting beamed in the head by a flying cabbage lol. You can catch all your veggies for a nice boiled dinner at the parade. :)

      Delete
  5. Hafta say, EWWWWW!

    I tend to be careful and just stop drinking if I think there aren't going to be any facilities. I'd always rather be dehydrated than caught short.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well...you got me back for the rats! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, your post reminded me of some things I saw once in public. I was on the Mall in D.C. For 4th of July and everyone was trying to get on the Metro. Some guy just stood there and peed right out in the open. Another time I saw a fight happening at a NFL football game and another time I saw a guy open his trunk and pull out a crowbar to attack a guy with it. The other guy sped off in his car. I totally forgot about those incidences. I can only imagine how crazy Mardi Gras is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Don't know what I would have done if I saw the guy with the crowbar!

      Delete
  8. Wow! Never been to a Mardi Gras myself, but you paint a pretty vivid picture. Sounds like fun, but that particular moment you've so perfectly captured makes me wonder if I really want that much to go to one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you could go and stay in Metairie, just a few miles out from the city. That way you could venture in if you feel daring, but retreat back to the outskirts if not. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...