Hye Thyme Cafe: Finish the Sentence Friday: "The hardest choice I ever made was ..."

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, October 4, 2013

Finish the Sentence Friday: "The hardest choice I ever made was ..."




My response to this week's prompt, "the hardest choice I ever made," is the same as my response to last week's "the bravest thing I've ever done..." That would be removing my Dad from life support when the time came. In an effort to participate without being repetitive, the next hardest choice I ever made was really a combination of two choices that, for better or for worse, changed the entire direction of my life.

The first was quitting what, for me, was a great job. The hours were good, there was overtime when I wanted/needed it, I regularly received merit bonuses and raises, had priority when selecting vacation time, etc. The problem was things going on involving management's treatment of not one, not two, but three other employees.  There was a lot of stuff going on that I just couldn't stomach anymore and had to take a stand.  I may also have left behind the longest resignation letter in the history of the world, after taking several stabs at paring it down.

Right on the heels of that choice came the choice, in the best interests of someone else yet again, to move to New Orleans.  Although I hated several things about living in New Orleans (heat, humidity, bugs, food, crime...), I also had a great job there, something interesting was always going on in the area, I have family there, etc.  It was Hurricane Katrina that finally chased me back East.

I know, your head is probably spinning at the notion of me hating the food in New Orleans, but seriously, I don't eat seafood, rabbit, turtle, alligator, or any number of other things you're likely to encounter there, so often times, I would go out to eat with friends and end up ordering a salad, not because that's what I wanted or because I was trying to be "good," but because it was the only thing I could identify or tolerate that wasn't fried and/or drowning in some sort of sauce.  I tried all of those fancy restaurants and was sadly disappointed by most.  Now, if we're talking about desserts, that's a whole other story - I had my share of some pretty fabulous desserts while living in New Orleans!

Had it not been for the events leading up to those two choices, I'd probably still be living on my beloved Cape Cod, but who knows how my life might otherwise be different.  For better or worse, I'll never know.


*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

Feel free to share in the comments below, on Facebook or Twitter using hashtag #FTSF, or if you're a blogger, link up with one of the host blogs:




Next week's sentence will be:  "Once, in public, I saw somebody ..."

22 comments:

  1. First, I cannot imagine the pain of your bravest moment. I agree it would also be the hardest. But I think you are incredibly brave for taking a chance and living life to it's fullest.

    Of course giving up Cape Cod? That was probably hard too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, those things aren't exactly on the same plane, are they?!? For some reason, the Cape has always felt like "home" to me, even though I grew up closer to Boston and then lived in New Orleans for 13 years. Dad actually felt the same way. There's something about the ocean...

      Delete
  2. I will admit I probably wouldn't like some of that food either having been raised in NY with not much exotic types of food some of what you listed just wouldn't cut it for me. But I do admit this definitely sounded like a hard decision indeed and still so sorry for you having to make that decision for you dad. And like I said last week, you are definitely a hero to me for that decision, because not sure how I would react if I had to make that decision. Thank you seriously though for sharing and linking up with us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the toughest thing ever, because every time you look at him, you think WHAT IT he wakes up tomorrow ... he's tough, maybe he won't be as bad as they think, etc. :(

      Delete
  3. Isn't it amazing to retrace the steps leading up to our current lives? It's fun to imagine a parallel universe in which you didn't end up where you are now, doing what you do now. I always love to hear your stories- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to do that on road trips when I'm by myself for some reason. I'll be bored and my mind will start to wander in that direction. So many possibilities!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes life takes you places you never want to go again, but it's always a learning experience, right? Interesting tip about the alligators and turtles - not sure I could stomach them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a BIG wuss when it comes to proteins. I never tried the alligator, but I did once try turtle soup by mistake lol - HATED IT! That was much like when I tried venison by mistake, but in that case, it was actually good - I hated to admit that. ;) They are also known to eat nutria on occasion, which are pretty much giant rats. No thanks!!

      Delete
  5. Those were some properly hard choices, Chris, and it sounds as though you were able to make them firmly and (retrospectively) with confidence. I'm glad that you're where you are today, and I hope that it's okay.

    I like your attitude to dealing with things as the 'now' - they might've been better or worse, but there's really no point dwelling on it, because what is, is, and that's what there is to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the immortal words of Doris Day - Que Sera Sera :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, Chris, I remember reading about your dad last week - the hardest choice of all, I feel like. I think it's great that you stood up for what you believe in when it came time to leave your job though. All of your stories are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one thing when I saw one person being taken advantage of after being lured away from another industry, but then to see another being pushed down/stifled and a third actually laughed at and treated very poorly, I had enough! Too bad it was a great position for ME! :(

      Delete
  7. Life can take sharp turns when we least expect it. We go choose one road over another. I wonder if I hadn't done this or that sometimes myself. But my choices made me whom I am today. :) Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is weird to think about things like that, or people lost to tragic events such as war, 9-11, etc. and how would the world been different if they were still here versus what we might not have in the world now if the people born after that as a result of those changes had never been born ...

      Delete
  8. What a terrible thing for anyone to have to do. I don't even want to imagine my dad and me in that situation. I'm so sorry you had to make that decision.
    I have been in New Orleans for 5 hours of my life. It was a very interesting place! We had lunch there, but I don't remember alligator on the menu. We were probably in the touristy portion of town where they like to keep things a bit more normal. :)
    It's people like you, taking a stand when she sees things that just are not right, who help make the world a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I was there several times over the years and DID enjoy some of my meals, I had to laugh the first time I went to one of the nice restaurants in NOLA - it was Commander's Palace, which is supposed to be one of the best restaurants in the country. I swear, I hated everything they served us, INCLUDING the cocktails! They are famous for their milk punch, but that first time I was there, it was like drinking watered down skim milk, so it looked like dirty water and didn't taste much better!

      Delete
  9. I have to agree with you on the food in New Orleans. It didn't match my style, with the exception of shrimp. I LOVED their shrimp! Another redeeming quality of N.O. was their drinks. The Creoles really know how to tie one on!;) After reading about your bravest choice last week, I agree that would also be the hardest. Nice 2nd runner up though .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shrimp is pretty much the only seafood that I'll eat - I had a few crawfish while I was there, and I'll take a bite of lobster on occasion, but never fish. Sadly though, the shrimp there didn't suit me either. The first time I had shrimp there was because I saw BBQ Shrimp on the menu and had never heard of BBQ Shrimp. I was horrified when it came and I saw that it was peel-and-eat. I had never seen a whole shrimp before, certainly didn't want to be covered in sauce trying to open them, and was wondering how much of the flavor would get through. Lucky for me, someone switched with me. Really, it was more that they generally had HUGE shrimp which I find to be too fishy tasting, or those teeny-tiny shrimp that I had always thought of as fish food. ;)

      Delete
  10. (((HUGS)))) oh no, I can not imagine being in that situation...I know as my parents get older I am faced with the fact they won't be around forever...it's a scary thought and one I am not ready for.

    It's amazing where we end up based on our choices, one effects another and so on...it all makes us who we are...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of like that move Butterfly Effect with Ashton Kutcher - every time he went back and changed something, he found out something else changed for the better/worse.

      Delete
  11. You know, I left a job for a very similar reason, Chris. I know how hard it was to leave something I loved, because it didn't fit with my notion of how to be a good and moral person. But I know that, to this day, I don't regret my decision, because I felt my integrity mattered more than the job. I'm sure that you feel exactly the same way. Good for you for being so brave! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I was looking for the "Like" button for a second there to like your comment. :) You're right - even though it was a great job for ME, had I stayed, I know it would have soured quickly because I would have had all that other stuff weighing on my heart. The gold plating wore off that one for sure!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...