Hye Thyme Cafe: Cheesy Open-Faced Pesto Sandwiches (Deconstructed Spanakopita)

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Cheesy Open-Faced Pesto Sandwiches (Deconstructed Spanakopita)

Cheesy Open-Faced Pesto Sandwiches : Hye Thyme Cafe

I was putting something in the freezer yesterday and noticed the silicon muffin tray - I had recently made a batch of pesto and had meant to freeze it, then pop out the discs and transfer them to a zip-top bag, but I forgot about it. As I was popping them out, I decided to hold one back and do something with it for dinner. Come time for dinner, I had no idea what I wanted to do with it. I had a big salad the night before, so I didn't want to use it in a dressing, and I wasn't in the mood for pasta or anything heavy. When I opened the fridge and saw the package of Meunster cheese slices, the decision was made for me.

What surprised me was how much this ended up reminding me of spinach pie (Spanakopita), thus the reference in the title. Please note that this was NOT a basil pesto, it was one that I had made with kale, so if you're looking for it to taste like Spanakopita, basil pesto might not be the best bet. I suppose you could saute some chopped spinach with a little garlic and achieve that effect in place of pesto.

INGREDIENTS :
Sandwich bread
Butter, softened
Sliced Meunster Cheese
Pesto
Shredded Mozzarella
(Optional - grated Parmesan, thin sliced tomato, etc.)


  1. Arrange bread slices on tray and broil in the oven to lightly toast on one side
  2. Flip bread slices over and spread a thin layer of softened butter
  3. Arrange one slice of Meunster on each piece of bread
  4. Spread with Pesto
  5. Sprinkle shredded Mozzarella over the top (optional - Parmesan, tomato, etc.)
  6. Pop back under the broiler until bubbly and golden

Broil until bubbly and golden.

Broil until bubbly and golden.

Broil until bubbly and golden.

Broil until bubbly and golden.


2 comments:

  1. I came over to collect some recipes. This looks delish. I saw your FB post today. I am excited for you. I love my KA mixer. If something happened to it today, I'd buy another one and worry about how I was going to pay for it later ;-) I just moved it on top of my countertop until the new year. I usually keep in in a cabinet below where I use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I might have to christen it with a batch of homemade marshmallows! I don't blame you - keeping it topside through the holidays will save a lot of wear and tear on your back! You don't need the mixer for this recipe, but I suppose you could use it to make the pesto LOL. I did mine in the food processor. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...