I was putting something in the freezer yesterday and noticed the silicon muffin tray - I had recently made a batch of pesto and had meant to freeze it, then pop out the discs and transfer them to a zip-top bag, but I forgot about it. As I was popping them out, I decided to hold one back and do something with it for dinner. Come time for dinner, I had no idea what I wanted to do with it. I had a big salad the night before, so I didn't want to use it in a dressing, and I wasn't in the mood for pasta or anything heavy. Hmmm ... When I opened the fridge and saw the package of Meunster cheese slices, the decision was made for me.
What surprised me was how much this ended up reminding me of spinach pie / Spanakopita, thus the reference in the title. Please note that this was NOT a basil pesto, it was one that I had made with kale, so if you're looking for it to taste like Spanakopita, basil pesto might not be the best bet. I suppose you could saute some chopped spinach with a little garlic and achieve that effect in place of pesto.
Sliced Meunster Cheese
(Optional - grated Parmesan, thin sliced tomato, etc.)
- Arrange bread slices on tray and broil in the oven to lightly toast on one side
- Flip bread slices over and spread a thin layer of softened butter
- Arrange one slice of Meunster on each piece of bread
- Spread with Pesto
- Sprinkle shredded Mozzarella over the top (optional - Parmesan, tomato, etc.)
- Pop back under the broiler until bubbly and golden