Hye Thyme Cafe: Tomato Crusted Roast Beef

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, September 16, 2013

Tomato Crusted Roast Beef

Tomato Crusted Roast Beef : Hye Thyme Cafe


Since having first tried a Dijon Crusted Roast Beef, everyone loved it so much, that's what I've stuck with. However, faced with a small roast in the fridge the other day, and several cans of tomato paste in the pantry, I started to wonder ... would you be able to use the tomato paste in the same way? Heck, I'm always game to try something new, so I went with it and was very pleasantly surprised.

I was tempted to add more wine to the tomato paste but was afraid it would get too loose when hot and everything would just slide off. Next time, maybe I'll try half and half - knowing me, I'll have to stick a toothpick in one side so I don't forget which half is which ... but then I'll forget which version the toothpick signified. Sigh ... 

I'm not particularly a gravy person, partly because it's extra calories I don't need, partly because I like to taste what I'm eating rather than mask it, and partly because whether it's a roast or a chicken, I'm usually using the leftovers in sandwiches and don't need all that gravy. You could certainly use the drippings for a gravy if you want, but I like it without, having just a bit of the crust with each bite.


INGREDIENTS :
Mixed veggies of choice - I used 2 carrots, a lg onion and two potatoes
2 1/2 lb Angus Beef Bottom Round Roast
Salt and Pepper
4 T tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T Italian Seasoning, divided
1 T red wine (I used Chianti)
1 1/2 T melted butter
1 1/2 c fresh bread crumbs

  1. Chop your veggies into segments and add to roasting pan or other vessel - I used a glass Pyrex casserole dish
  2. Generously rub the roast all around with salt and pepper after letting it sit out for a while so it's not going directly from a cold fridge to a hot oven
  3. In a small bowl, stir together the tomato paste, garlic, 1T Italian seasoning and red wine
  4. Rub the paste all over the top and sides of the roast
  5. Melt the butter and toss with the bread crumbs and remaining 1T Italian seasoning, then pat onto the paste mixture
  6. Transfer the roast to set atop your veggies (I like to do that instead of using a rack)
  7. Roast at 325° for 1'30" to 1'45" until the roast reaches an internal temp of 145° (mid-rare) or above
  8. If the bread crumbs start to get extra toasty, just tent with foil to prevent burning
  9. Tent with foil and let rest for 20" before carving
  10. If your veggies are not yet cooked through when the roast comes out, transfer the roast to a serving platter and return the veggies to the oven while the roast rests

This is the first time I have ever had a roast come out with the top cooked more than the rest. This is also the first time I have ever cooked a roast with a thermometer stuck in it - I'm guessing there is a connection, like when people stick a nail in a potato to bake more quickly. I have no idea what prompted me to stick the thermometer in at the beginning. I've never done that before. We often section roasts so that the well-doners can have theirs left in to cook longer, but I might be onto something here lol. Everyone's meat is done at the same time, but the well-doners get the top and the rest of us get the bottom?!?!  😉


Tomato Paste, Garlic, Red Wine, Italian Seasoning
Rub generously with salt and pepper

Lightly press crumb mixture onto paste
Rub with paste mixture


Let rest 20" before carvingBake at 325 until internal temp reaches 145 or above

Tomato Crusted Roast Beef : Hye Thyme Cafe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...