Hye Thyme Cafe: Meyer Lemon Cupcake Minis

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, September 22, 2013

Meyer Lemon Cupcake Minis

Myer Lemon Cupcake Minis : Hye Thyme Cafe


I mentioned in my Apple-Acorn Squash Soup post that I came across Meyer Lemons for the first time, so I had to pick up a bag. They were packaged four together, which turned out perfect for me since I botched my first batch. I made full-sized cupcakes, and aside from them being too dry, I over-baked them by a few minutes, so the spares came in handy. Then I stopped by my sister's house, and she passed along a mini muffin pan, so I decided to make minis for my second try. These came out perfectly tender and delicious.

As for the lemons, Meyers are said to be a cross between an orange and a lemon, so I was very surprised to cut the first one open and think it smelled a lot like thyme. Since these are the first ones I have ever encountered, I'm not sure if that's what they are always like or if this was an odd season/crop. They're even a lot more orange in color than most pictures I have seen. I happen to enjoy the combination of lemon and thyme, as evidenced by my Lemon Thyme Cake, but it was unexpected, so I'll be curious to compare when I see them again.


INGREDIENTS :  (Makes +/- 40 minis)
1/2 c butter (1 stick), room temp
3/4 c sugar
2 eggs, room temp
3/4 c vanilla yogurt
zest of one Meyer lemon
2 t Meyer lemon juice
1 c flour
1/2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
  1. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
  2. Add the eggs, one at a time, until just combined
  3. Mix in the yogurt, zest, and lemon juice
  4. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, then add to the wet mix in two additions
  5. Line baking pan with mini muffin cups and fill to about 2/3 full
  6. Bake at 350 for approx. 12" until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and top edge is just starting to brown
  7. Glaze while still warm, then cool completely before frosting

GLAZE :
4 T sugar
2 T water
1 T Meyer lemon juice
  1. Stir together the sugar and water in a small pot
  2. Bring up to a simmer and add the lemon juice
  3. Let simmer for about a minute, then remove from heat
  4. Use a pastry brush to brush over the tops of your cupcakes for an extra boost of flavor and moisture

MEYER LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING :
3 oz cream cheese, room temp
1/2 c butter (1 stick), room temp
1 T milk
1 T Meyer lemon juice
2 c confectioners sugar
  1. Beat together the butter and cream cheese until well combined
  2. Add the milk and lemon juice
  3. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the conf. sugar, a little at a time, until light and fluffy

OK, this is a judgment-free zone, right?!? No judging my piping skills (lack thereof)! I have frosted a few cakes and batches of cupcakes over the years, but I don't actually recall ever piping anything but a bottom edge on a cake and a few cookie details.  

As for toppings, whatever you like that goes with lemon - coconut, dried blueberries, toasted almonds, sprinkles, etc. Just be careful if you're using sprinkles and won't be serving the cupcakes somewhat soon - you don't want them to start melting away and discoloring your frosting. I opted for toasted coconut, candied citrus zest, and some candy pearls.



Myer Lemon Cupcake Minis : Hye Thyme Cafe

Myer Lemon Cupcake Minis : Hye Thyme Cafe


Myer Lemon Cupcake Minis : Hye Thyme Cafe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...