Hye Thyme Cafe: Finish the Sentence Friday: "The bravest thing I've ever done..."

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, September 27, 2013

Finish the Sentence Friday: "The bravest thing I've ever done..."

Dad enjoying a Lobster Boil


It has been a few weeks since I participated in Finish the Sentence Friday, and I thought it was about time I jumped back in.  Then I saw the question for this week ("The bravest thing I've ever done...") and was totally thrown off.  Brave, me?  What have I ever done that would be considered brave?  It's all so subjective.  When you think about it, bravery can mean different things at different ages and times in your life.

I mean seriously, I've never been in the position of rescuing someone from a burning building or shark attack, so what have I done that was brave?  I can confidently repeat Candyman, Bloody Mary, or Beetlejuice five times. [I know at least one of you just shivered!]

I guess as a kid, you could count standing up to bullies when I encountered them unleashing on someone, or defending someone being wrongfully accused of something, even though that meant going against a whole system because it was the right thing to do, regardless of the fact that the person in question had done countless other despicable things and wasn't someone I particularly wanted to stick my neck out for.  Or maybe it was on those occasions when I chose to go against the crowd and not do something because I knew it was wrong – on a few occasions, others followed suit and told me they had been afraid to step away on their own, but my doing it made it OK for them.

Maybe we're talking about physical bravery, like stepping up to put the person who pulled a knife on and threatened a friend in their place, even though that could have put me in danger.

Or maybe were talking about a different kind of bravery, like taking on the challenge of facing a personal fear or doing something outside your comfort zone.  How about watching six kids for a week to give their folks a break when that entailed four still in diapers (including an infant), and all were under the age of 8, knowing full well that it had always taken at least two people to manage them all.  Or how about a series of mix-ups putting you and those same six kids, along with two others in the same age bracket, in the middle of the local county fair and not losing your mind…or a kid!  I managed to keep everyone together and alive, but after their respective parents and other adults arrived, they managed to lose one!

Maybe it was listening to my gut instinct that time at a party as a kid when I knew something just wasn't right and managed to shove my way past those older guys and drag out the girl they had pinned and cowering in a corner of the bathroom.


Then it dawned on me.  The bravest thing I have ever done by far was an act of love and compassion, even though it broke my heart.  It was making the decision to terminate life support for my father and sitting with him until he passed back in 2007.  I can only hope that, should the circumstances arise, someone will be brave enough to do the same for me someday.  I love you Dad!

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

Feel free to share in the comments below, on Facebook or Twitter using hashtag #FTSF, or if you're a blogger, link up with one of the host blogs:


Next week's sentence will be:  "The hardest choice I ever made was ..."



15 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I only hope that someday if I have to do this for one of my parents, I will be able t do this. You truly are brave for being able to take him off life support and be there until the end. I was there when when grandfather passed away in the hospital years back, but I wasn't the one to make that final decision, my grandmother was. But you are right this may be something I will have to do and seriously like I said not sure if I will be as brave to do it. Thanks Chris for joining us and sharing with us today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a better shot of him in his later years. You can't see those crystal blue twinkling eyes in this one, although it's definitely a happy picture. He always made the best Santa!!

      Delete
  2. Well, yours leaves mine in the dust. You are a brave lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be silly! It's all so subjective. A minor task for one could be a monumental feat for someone else. Glad you joined in with us though! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow. Terminating life support was huge and brave. What a hard decision but ultimately, it sounds like it was the right one. Nobody would choose to be kept alive with machines. Also, rescuing that girl from the bathroom at a party is pretty amazingly brave as well. Wonderful post and so glad you're back in Finish the Sentence Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was at a friend's house. The people were mostly from my age group, but the older brother had some friends over. The girl went downstairs to get something, then I saw a few of the brother's buddies looking around like they were checking to see if anyone noticed and follow her down. When she didn't come back up, I got that queasy feeling and had to go after her. When I got her out of there, I told the brother to get rid of them or I was calling the cops. He was completely shocked and devastated by the whole thing. I remember her just sitting on the stairs and shaking for about a half an hour. As for Dad, it was definitely what he would have wanted under the circumstances, but every once in a great while, I still wonder ... :(

      Delete
  4. You're right, bravery can be so subject. But terminating life support for a loved one is inarguably brave. Any time we demonstrate such love and compassion, we demonstrate courage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably the hardest thing I ever had to do.

      Delete
  5. Wow - you've done loads of brave things. But I can totally understand that your last one was the most difficult. What a heartbreaking decision to have to make. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I had my sister with me, so I didn't have to go through it alone.

      Delete
  6. Yes, that is so brave. My mom had to make that decision for her father several years ago, and it was so tough. Even when you know it's the person's wishes and what is 'best'. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a really well written post. I loved the flow of it. The ending was the only sad part, but my husband and I were talking about it the other day and both of us had agreed that we would want the same thing done for us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is true bravery, Chris. I can only imagine what you must have gone through during your father's final days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is definitely brave. I'm not sure how strong I'll be if I had to make that decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would find the strength knowing it was the best thing for them, even though it broke your heart.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...