Hye Thyme Cafe: Apple-Acorn Squash Soup

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, September 19, 2013

Apple-Acorn Squash Soup

Hye Thyme Cafe: Apple-Acorn Squash Soup


I thought this was kinda funny ... I was going to the grocery store last week and had apples on the brain.  I was hoping that my favorite (Macoun) would be there, but apparently it's still a little too early. Anyhow, thinking about apples in general, I decided to try an apple soup, so I picked up some Granny Smith and Pink Lady apples.  I assumed it wasn't a new idea, but I have never personally seen an apple soup before.  I was shopping at Hannaford, and they put out a monthly magazine, so I picked up a copy at the checkout.  Later that night, I was flipping through the magazine and noticed that they had an apple soup in there.  Then I noticed that the soup featured on the cover of this month's Food Network Magazine is an apple-pumpkin soup!  Seems I'm suddenly surrounded by apple soups.  I haven't looked at either of those recipes yet, as I did not want them to influence me in any way.

INGREDIENTS :
1 Acorn Squash
4 Granny Smith apples
4 Pink Lady or other apples
1 Vidalia Onion
1 Jalapeno Pepper
2 T olive oil
1/2 t kosher salt
1 lemon
1 t sugar
1/2 t black pepper
water
sour cream or yogurt (optional)
sunflower kernels (optional)


  • Preheat oven to 375
  • Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds, then quarter each half
  • Cut a slice from the side of one green and one red apple, rub with lemon and wrap tightly to reserve for garnish
  • Peel, core and chop the apples into large chunks
  • Rough chop the onion
  • Slice the jalapeno in half, removing the seeds and pith
  • Toss all of the above in baking dish with 2T olive oil
  • Sprinkle salt over the top
  • Squeeze juice from half of the lemon over the top
  • Roast until the squash is fork tender - approx 1'30"
  • Puree the mixture in batches, transferring to a pot
  • Stir in the sugar and black pepper
  • Bring to a simmer, adding enough water to achieve the desired consistency
  • Finely dice the reserved apple slices
  • Garnish with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of diced apple and sunflower kernels


Because the squash is hard when raw, and does not have a smooth surface like Butternut and other squashes, I did not attempt to peel it before roasting.  If you feel so inclined, have at it, but I just used two spoons to gently scrape it away from the peel when soft - kinda like using two forks to pull pork, etc.

As for thinning the soup, you could use chicken stock if you like, but I did not want to muddle the flavors, so I stuck with water.

I was happy to see that second helpings were had.


Hye Thyme Cafe: Apple-Acorn Squash Soup
Hye Thyme Cafe: Apple-Acorn Squash Soup


Hye Thyme Cafe: Apple-Acorn Squash Soup
This is the puree before thinned







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...