Hye Thyme Cafe: Lemon Candied Kale Chips

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, August 1, 2013

Lemon Candied Kale Chips


Lemon Candied Kale Chips


I was looking in the pantry one day and saw a jar of lemon curd.  I don't remember buying it, but I must have had scones on the brain, because that's pretty much the only time I use it.  That got me thinking about how I have seen sandwich cookies calling for lemon curd, but not much else. Having kale in the fridge at the time, I decided to try using the curd as a coating for chips.  I was thinking about making the simple syrup for Paklava and how if you cook it for too long, it will turn into a candy rather than a syrup.  I figured the same principle would hold here and that baking the curd in a thin layer would crisp it.

This ended up to be a case of "When at first you don't succeed, try, try again."  The first time I tried it, I rubbed the curd onto the leaves (thinking about how people massage kale for salads, etc. to bring out a sweetness), but used too much, and they came out very limp and gummy.  The next time, I baked them for too long and burned them.  The third try was the proverbial charm.

Used too much curd this time.
See the little blobs - first try - too much curd!

INGREDIENTS :
Lemon Curd
Kale


Wash and dry the kale and tear or cut into bite-sized pieces, removing any large stems.

Heat a tablespoon or two of the lemon curd so it will be thin enough to spread.  I zapped it in the microwave for about 20 seconds and gave it a good stir.

Using a pastry brush, brush a very thin coat of curd onto both sides of the leaves, transferring them to a parchment-lined baking sheet.

Bake at 300° for 10", then flip and bake for another 8-10" until set.

Allow to cool on the tray.

Brush kale with heated/thinned lemon curd on both sides.
Bake at 300 for 10", flip and repeat.








Lemon Candied Kale Chips

Lemon Candied Kale Chips
See, nice and crisp, not limp.




2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...