Hye Thyme Cafe: Kale Egg Noodles with Candied Corn Garnish

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Saturday, August 3, 2013

Kale Egg Noodles with Candied Corn Garnish

Kale Egg Noodles with Candied Corn Garnish : Hye Thyme Cafe

Making Lemon-Candied Kale Chips left me with extra kale in the fridge, and I already have a batch of Kale-Mint-Almond Pesto in the freezer, so I needed to come up with another use for the rest but was too lazy to go to the grocery store. I took a look around to see what I had available and came up with this. Luckily, I remembered the review I did of Teri Lyn Fisher and Jenny Park's cookbook - Tiny Food Party a while back and how I wanted to try their Homemade Candied Corn.

INGREDIENTS :
1 ear of corn
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c water
Chili Powder
+++++++++++++++++++
1 pkg large egg noodles
+++++++++++++++++++
1 T olive oil
1 vidalia onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1/2 t salt
1/2 t fresh ground black pepper
1 T white balsamic vinegar
1 bunch kale, chopped
1 roasted red pepper, chopped
1 T dried sweet basil
1/4 c grated Parmesan
+++++++++++++++++++


Carefully cut the corn off the cob. Over medium heat, cook the sugar and water until the sugar dissolves, then add the corn and let simmer for 30".

Drain the liquid and transfer the corn to a parchment-lined baking sheet. (I decided to dust mine with Chili Powder before baking.) Bake at 300° for 5" to dry slightly. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the tray.  Set aside.














Cook the pasta in lightly salted water to al dente, then drain, reserving one cup of the pasta liquid (optional). Set aside.

Saute the garlic and onion in the olive oil until the onions are translucent. Season with salt and pepper, then add the balsamic and stir in the kale to coat. When the kale wilts down, add the roasted red peppers and basil and continue to cook until the kale is tender. Stir in the Parmesan at the end.



Kale Egg Noodles with Candied Corn Garnish : Hye Thyme Cafe

Serve the greens over a bed of the pasta, and sprinkle with the candied corn. If you want a bit of a broth, pour a little of the pasta liquid over the greens before adding the corn.

The verdict? I really enjoyed the way the flavors played off of one another - the sweetness of the corn and basil against the acidity of the balsamic, the saltiness of the Parmesan and brininess of the pepper (I used jarred). I had expected the corn to be drier, thinking it would be a slightly crunchy component. I may bake it longer next time, or use a 2:1 sugar:water ratio rather than equal amounts of each. I'm also re-thinking the construction. I'll keep the flavors but might make a puree out of the kale next time for a sauce, rather than keeping it whole. We'll see...

Kale Egg Noodles with Candied Corn Garnish : Hye Thyme Cafe


Kale Egg Noodles with Candied Corn Garnish : Hye Thyme Cafe





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...