Hye Thyme Cafe: Finish the Sentence Friday "I used to love..."

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, August 16, 2013

Finish the Sentence Friday "I used to love..."



The #FTSF prompt for this week is "I used to love ..."

I used to love participating in theatre, in both school and community productions.  As a kid, I was involved in well over 20 productions, sometimes acting/singing, sometimes assistant directing/teaching, and sometimes working with the crew.  I've done lighting, make-up, costuming, sound effects, performed multiple parts in the same production, played a guy, you name it.  I even had an opportunity to choreograph a few numbers once, but that didn't go so well.  Although I was actually shocked to be paid for my efforts (completely unexpected, especially since I was in the 10th grade), I was frustrated that the cast (friends/peers) were not inclined to follow my instruction and basically winged it.  I think it was our age at the time – they didn't want someone their own age telling them how it should be done, and I wasn't comfortable asserting myself in that way with them.  I was fine with that when it came to acting, but not with choreography, which was definitely not my forté.

One of the funniest things I remember was during a dress rehearsal for Guys & Dolls.  The marching band was using the auditorium for an event that night, so we were relegated to the cafeteria, and the director had wanted to make a hasty retreat before the crowd let out from the band event, so he was rushing us through.  I was assistant directing and also filling in during the opening scene as a street walker (a/k/a hooker).

The director would instruct everyone as they passed, but when he got to me, he said "OK, Chrissy's a pro – she knows what she's doing."  I proceeded, and as I crossed the stage, a ripple of laughter began to take hold.  It took a few seconds for my brain to catch up, and I stopped center stage with my hands on my hips … "Ahhh, Mr. H, would you care to retract that last statement?!?"  "What?!  Come on, we're trying to get through…GASP! Oh my God, I'm soo sorry!"  Yup, he had inadvertently referred to me as a "pro," as in a real hooker.  I still had a few more years with him, so I made sure to never let him live that one down.

Another funny one for me was when assistant directing a production of Annie Get Your Gun.  A good friend of mine was playing the lead, the Ethel Merman role of Annie Oakley, and went blank on opening night, forgetting half the songs.  I ended up belting them out from offstage.  Lucky for her, I was right there working on lights ... and I'm VERY loud!

There were a number of factors leading to my giving up the theatre, but I do think about it often and sometimes contemplate dipping my toes back in the water some day.  Those were fun times!



*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

Feel free to share in the comments below, on Facebook or Twitter using hashtag #FTSF, or if you're a blogger, link up with one of the host blogs:


Next week's sentence will be:  "I wasn't really myself when I ..."





23 comments:

  1. Chris, sounded like such fun times. I remembered trying out for our drama club, but didn't make the cut. God knows what I was thinking, because seriously I was no actress!! But I loved your stories and walk down memory lane. Thanks for sharing and linking up with us once again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's right ... I was president of the Drama Club/Thespian Society as well. You didn't need to audition to join the club, but you did for the shows. That was another funny thing. The director had me read a scene against everyone during auditions for one show that involved a scream. I pretended to scream the first time, and he asked that I do it for real. After the 5th or 6th audition, he asked me to go back to pretending LOL. Like I said, I'm LOUD! ;)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had so much fun. I wish I'd gotten into theatre more. I found it so hard to take myself seriously enough, and I'd always end up upsetting fellow cast members ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's a bummer! Sounds like improv would be more up your alley then. No need to be serious then. :)

      Delete
  3. wow, sounds like lots of fun...Even though I can be a drama queen at times, I could never really act..I just crack up in the middle of it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure I have my Drama Queen moments too. ;)

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a blast and I vote that you get back into theatre. Seriously. I mean, come on, you're a pro! (that's awesome and so funny - in ANY other profession it never would have been funny - love it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky for Mr. H a "pro" with a good sense of humor. ;)

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you were a theater-pro and not the other kind, a golf-pro or a tennis-pro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny - I apparently could have been a Golf Pro if not for knee-caps that like to jump off. I took a golf clinic as a kid and the pros would come out to watch me in amazement. I was extremely embarrassed by that, but apparently I was good. I later learned from an optometrist that it was partly to do with the fact that, although I'm left-handed, I'm right-eye dominant. When I asked what that meant, he said pretty much that your great at golf but lousy at tennis. So true!!!!!! Strange LOL.

      Delete
    2. Oops, just cringed when I saw "your" instead of "you're."

      Delete
  6. I used to love acting in plays, and then at some point I became far too self-conscious and inhibited. How I wish I could go back and power through- I missed out on a lot of great experiences, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we both did! Even sadder is that when I was living in New Orleans, I had season tickets to a regional theatre and kept thinking how much better I would have been in some of the parts (not to brag - just a shame that I lost my confidence with it over time).

      Delete
  7. I would not have been found near the theater club, at least my first time around...being of that (teen) age.
    It sounds like it must have been great fun and I would suspect that, (to grab a line from Kristi over at Finding Ninee) that everyone else was more scared than you were... fun post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a lot of fun, but I can't decide which was better, working onstage, backstage, or teaching younger kids. I loved it all.

      Delete
  8. Wow! You must be full of expressions!

    I am not that expressive and don't think acting is my cup of tea, but I do admire people who have that inborn talent.

    Do follow it up, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Full of expressions reminds me of the time one of my English teachers told me my eyebrows say more than my mouth ever does. Apparently I do have a lot of expressions. ;)

      Delete
  9. High School theater was great! I would have been so disappointed then if I knew that the Summer Musical Theater of my Junior year would be the pinnacle of my acting career. But, now I hold on to those memories with love and fervor. If you do decide to give acting another try, please post about it so I can live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably never get around to it, but if I do, I'll be sure to post about it. :)

      Delete
  10. It really sounds like you had a blast back then. I was in Cinderella when I was younger in 1995. I had such a little part and always wanted to be in plays after that but drama club was really cliquey so it wasn't worth it. Oh well! Maybe another life time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that's too bad. :( I remember doing a musical version of Cinderella once. That was fun.

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh, Chris, I've been exploring your site and looking at all this delicious food, since finding you on FTSF. I'm hungry!
    -Brigid
    P.s. Thanks for stopping by The Pink Roller Coaster, and leaving such a kind comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you joined up with us. It's a nice group, although most of you are Mommy bloggers, and I'm a foodie. ;) I've been terrible lately though - haven't been doing much new to be able to blog anything. Gotta do something about that soon!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...