Hye Thyme Cafe: Chewy Nutella Oatmeal Cookies

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, August 15, 2013

Chewy Nutella Oatmeal Cookies

Chewy Nutella Oatmeal Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe

OMG, someone please take these away from me. I can't stop eating them!  

I somehow ended up with two jars of Nutella in my pantry, so I decided I better do something with Nutella before I completely forget about them and they expire. Strangely, I don't remember what I had in mind for them when I bought them. Maybe I was going to make a batch of Peanut Butter and Nutella Yeast Rolls, but even that doesn't explain why I had TWO jars?? Maybe I just caught a good sale and couldn't pass them up that day.  :) 

I love oatmeal cookies - crispy, chewy, or fat and pillowy. Either way, I do like to mix the types of oats I use. The old fashioned oats are a coarser texture, while the quick oats are smaller. I just like the textural difference, but you could certainly use all of one - just keep an eye on the first tray to see any difference in baking time.

INGREDIENTS :
1 c butter, softened
1/2 c light brown sugar
3/4 c sugar
2 eggs
2 t Kahlua liqueur
1/2 c Nutella
1 1/2 c flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c quick oats
1 1/2 c old fashioned oats

  1. Cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy
  2. Add the eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated, followed by the Kahlua
  3. Next mix in the Nutella
  4. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt, then add to the butter/sugar mixture a little at a time, scraping down the bowl as necessary
  5. Stir in the oats
  6. Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto parchment-lined baking sheets
  7. Bake at 350° for 12"


When they first come out of the oven, the cookies will look like they're not quite done yet, but just let them cool on the tray, and they will finish baking and set nicely.

Cookie batter
Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto parchment-lined trays.








They won't look done when they first come out of the oven.

See how the cookies on the left don't look done yet? That tray just came out of the oven, while the cookies on the right were the last tray to come out and are now set.


Chewy Nutella Oatmeal Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe

I think these are my new favorite! You can eat cookies for dinner when they're oatmeal, right?? Oatmeal is good for you.


4 comments:

  1. Ooooh those are beautiful! I just made regular oatmeal cookies today for my husband to take to his father in Louisiana. Same deal - when take them out they don't look done yet. Good advice. What is that you've got on the cookie sheet? I use that baking foil and the cookies lift right off. I'm able to use it for the entire batch. It's expensive though so I wonder if what you are using is cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got into the habit of baking on parchment. If the sheets are pretty clean, I do leave them in the trays and use them again. You can sometimes get great deals in random places on parchment - just have to keep an eye out.

      Delete
  2. Gotta say, my kids are going to think Nutella in an oatmeal cookie is a much better choice than raisins! :) We'll be giving these a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're like aroma-therapy. You have to smile when you just open the tin and smell them. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...