Hye Thyme Cafe: Blueberry Cake

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, August 26, 2013

Blueberry Cake

Blueberry Cake : Hye Thyme Cafe

Oops, I did it again ... 

A friend of my Mom's passed along a recipe for her Blueberry Cake a bazillion years ago, so I grew up with my Mom baking it fairly regularly. Since I'm in New York, and Mom is in New Orleans, I figured if I wanted Blueberry Cake, I'd have to fend for myself and dug out the recipe. The problem? I wrote it down wrong. How do I know this, you wonder? The tip off was that there was NO SUGAR. Not sure what else I may have botched in transcribing, but rather than call and ask (and since it called for milk and I was out), I decided to wing it and come up with my own recipe.

In all things blueberry, I defer to wild blueberries. I find them to be vastly more flavorful than those huge cultivated berries. I can't find them fresh all that often, but there is no problem with finding them in the freezer section. If you use frozen berries, just be sure to thaw them first, then drain and blot them dry so you don't end up with a soupy mess and gray batter (something like when I attempted a blueberry panna cotta - not pretty!)


INGREDIENTS :
4 T butter, softened
1 c sugar
1 egg
1 ½ t vanilla
1 c plain yogurt
2 t baking powder
¼ t salt
2 c flour (reserve 2T)
1 ¼ c wild blueberries
PAM Baking

  1. Cream together the butter and sugar – because of the high ratio of sugar to butter, it will be on the sandy side
  2. Stir in the egg until evenly distributed, then add the vanilla and yogurt
  3. Whisk together the baking powder, salt, and flour, then add to the wet mixture, a little at a time
  4. Toss the blueberries with the remaining 2T flour, then gently fold into the batter
  5. Pour into sprayed loaf pan (or in my case, a vintage aluminum ice-cube tray) and bake at 350 for 1’ 15”, or until toothpick tests done

If you have some cream and a lemon in the house, it would be great with a dollop of lemon whipped cream. I love blueberries and lemon ... hmmm, reminds me of blueberry vodka with lemonade. Haven't had that in a while. Might have to stop at the liquor store later.  



Blueberry Cake : Hye Thyme Cafe

Blueberry Cake : Hye Thyme Cafe


2 comments:

  1. We just went blueberry picking in VT. I have about 8 lbs now ready for anything. So a very timely post. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be able to get them right at the end of my street growing up. VERY convenient! Definitely makes me miss my Mom's Blueberry Jam! :(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...