Hye Thyme Cafe: Noodle Pudding (Kugel)

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, July 22, 2013

Noodle Pudding (Kugel)

Noodle Pudding


This is one of those things that I don't think to make often, but everyone devours when it's around.  I was introduced to noodle pudding by a Jewish neighbor as a kid and was instantly hooked ... even though it sounded gross to me back then.  Bread pudding made sense to me in a French Toast kind of way, but cold, sweet noodles just sounded wrong somehow.

One advantage to making this dessert, especially if you need to bring something to a pot-luck or other gathering, is that it's super easy.  It would also make a great starter recipe for getting your kids interested in playing in the kitchen.

The only problem here was that it has been so long since I've made it, I forgot that I like to press the noodles down a bit once in the pan.  Because there was so much exposed at the top (over the liquid), there was more of a "crust" than I would have liked.  That's not to say it wasn't just as good - as someone who loves fried bow ties, ravioli, etc., I like that sort of chewy texture, just not that much of it in a noodle pudding.

INGREDIENTS:
1 pkg large egg noodles
3/4 stick of butter
1/2 c small curd cottage cheese
2 T sour cream
1/4 t salt
8 oz cream cheese 
2 eggs
1 c sugar
1 t vanilla
1 c raisins
cinnamon-sugar

  1. Boil the egg noodles to al dente, drain and return to the pot.  
  2. While the noodles are cooking, soak the raisins in a bit of hot water to plump up (this step is optional, but if you do it, be sure to drain and blot them dry before adding to the mix)
  3. Add the butter to the noodles and stir until melted.
  4. Beat together (with hand mixer, blender, food processor...) the cottage cheese, sour cream, salt, cream cheese, eggs, sugar and vanilla.
  5. Pour the cheese mixture over the noodles, add the raisins, and stir until evenly distributed.
  6. Pour into a buttered casserole or baking dish and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (light on the sugar, heavy on the cinnamon).
  7. Bake at 350° for 30-40" until golden and bubbly.
  8. Delicious served at any temp - hot, room temp, or leftovers straight out of the fridge.
Obviously, you can serve this right out of the pan once it has cooled a bit.  I just happened to be bringing it somewhere, so I used a 2" round cutter to portion it out and transfer to cupcake liners.


Pour mixture into buttered casserole dish.

Bake at 350 for 30-40" until golden and bubbly.
I realize it looks burnt here, but that's really the cinnamon.

Use round biscuit cutter to shape.



2 comments:

  1. Like I said before, I wish you were my neighbor - One of those who rings the bell and hands me a little dish of your creations. I'd heat mine up ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were my neighbor so I could share! I'm short on guinea pigs these days lol.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...