Hye Thyme Cafe: Kale Soup with Hot Italian Sausage

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, June 9, 2013

Kale Soup with Hot Italian Sausage

Kale Soup with Hot Italian Sausage : Hye Thyme Cafe

I went to the grocery store the other day and picked up some chicken, beef, and hot Italian sausages, not sure what I was going to do with any of them. I already had kale in the fridge and was contemplating making soup, so I figured I'd use one of them, probably the beef. While I was unpacking the groceries, I changed my mind and opted to use the sausage - good choice! I had a bowl for dinner last night and had to go back for another. I was just bummed I hadn't gotten an earlier start in the day to have baked some bread to soak up the broth with.

INGREDIENTS:
6 hot Italian sausages
1 T olive oil
1 leek, sliced
1 red bell pepper, diced or sliced into strips
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lemon
1 t black pepper
1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
1 bunch kale, chopped (remove thick stems)
32 oz chicken broth
4 c water
1 c small soup pasta
grated Parmesan 

In a dry, non-stick pan (or seasoned skillet), brown the sausages well, all the way around. You don't need to worry about whether they are completely cooked through, because they will finish off in the soup. Once you start to really smell them cooking and they start to plump up and "talk" to you, feel free to poke some pin-prick holes in them with the tip of a knife. When they are well browned, remove from heat and set aside to cool enough to handle.

Kale Soup with Hot Italian Sausage : Hye Thyme Cafe
Brown well on all sides








Saute the garlic, leeks and red bell pepper in olive oilIn a large stock pot, sauté the garlic, leek, and red bell pepper until they start to soften. If you haven't worked with leeks before, you should be aware that they can be extremely dirty, so you will want to wash them very well. I slice off the root, then slice the bulb up to just below the greens, then separate the greens to wash them well.


Add the sausage and deglaze pan with lemon
Slice the sausages into rings and add to the pot. Let that cook for a minute or two to re-heat the sausages and give them a chance to imbue their flavor into the veggies. Squeeze in the lemon juice to deglaze the pan and add a bit of acid to the soup, then season with the two peppers.  

I did not add salt, as the sausage was on the salty side, and I would be using Parmesan as well, which is salty.

Add the kale to the pot, stirring well from the bottom to nicely coat the greens and get them to wilt down. Depending on the size of your pot, you might need to do this a little at a time.

Add the kale
Stir to coat and wilt down the kale








Add chicken broth, water, and pasta, simmering until the pasta is tender.
Once the kale has wilted down, add the broth, water and, and pasta. Bring up to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until the pasta is tender.

Ladle into soup bowls and top with grated Parmesan.



Kale Soup with Hot Italian Sausage : Hye Thyme Cafe

Don't forget the bread! You will definitely want to soak up that flavorful broth.

4 comments:

  1. Looks really good!!

    Thanks for fixing the comments!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. What an odd feature to offer - why would anyone want to limit their readers who can comment to ONLY those who use Google+??

      Delete
  2. Looks like this is a soup that I need now in the rainy and cold New Zealand weather at the moment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid the lemon might be too much, but it made for a very tasty broth! I brought some to someone else and was going to have the rest for lunch the next day - had to laugh when I saw how much that tiny pasta had expanded. I usually keep the pasta separate if the soup will be hanging around. I ended up eating it cold and really enjoyed it that way as well...although that doesn't help you on a cold/rainy day.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...