Hye Thyme Cafe: Grammy's String Beans & Eggs ... almost

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Grammy's String Beans & Eggs ... almost



I never really gave it much thought until making this, but of all the omelettes and quiches I've eaten and seen in restaurants over the years, I don't recall any having string beans in them.  Even having grown up eating this, it never occurred to me to use them myself.  String Beans and Eggs is a very common dish in an Armenian household.  Often served as a side dish, it also makes a super simple quick dinner option, which is how we usually had it.

Grammy's version calls for a little tomato paste rather than the tomatoes I use.  Her version may plate prettier, but I think mine is tastier.  You know me - everything's gotta have a little kick to it, so I throw in a can of DelMonte Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes with Zesty Jalapeno whenever I can.

INGREDIENTS :
1T butter or a little olive oil
1 med onion, diced
About 2c French cut string beans (I use frozen)
1 can spicy diced tomatoes
6 eggs
salt and pepper
Paprika (I used smoked)



Sauté the onion in the butter or olive oil until translucent - if your string beans are thawed.  



Add your beans (if they are fresh or frozen, you will want to add them a little sooner), drain most of the liquid out of the tomatoes and add those as well.

Let that simmer until most of the liquid has absorbed.


While that's simmering, beat your eggs and season with a little salt and pepper.  When it comes to eggs, there are a few different camps - some like their eggs straight up, while others add a little water and others add milk or cream.  I'm in the milk camp myself, so I always add a splash when making scrambled eggs or omelettes.

Pour the eggs over the string beans, using a fork to sort of poke your way around to make sure the egg settles in around the beans - just be careful if you're using a non-stick pan so you don't scratch it with the fork.










Top the whole thing with a sprinkling of paprika, turn the heat down to low, cover and cook until set.  That's it, quick and easy!




I like to run a smooth-edged spreader or spatula around the top edge to release it from the pan when it comes out, then let it sit for a few minutes before slicing.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...