Hye Thyme Cafe: Fiery Pickled Cucumbers and Jalapenos ... Pickles that Bite Back!

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, June 10, 2013

Fiery Pickled Cucumbers and Jalapenos ... Pickles that Bite Back!

Pickles that bite back


If you like the thought of a spicy pickle but don't have a high threshold for heat, be sure to either knock most of the seeds out of the jalapenos, or trim off the ends and swish them in water to rinse out the seeds.  These turned out even hotter than I was expecting ... not that it stopped me from eating them.  My nose did run though, so proceed with caution.

I decided to play around with the vinegars in these pickles and use a three-way combination of white, rice, and apple cider.  One is mild, one is sweet, and the other astringent.

INGREDIENTS :
4 cloves garlic
4 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced into rings
1 vidalia or sweet onion, sliced
1 t celery seed
1 t mustard seed
1/2 c cider vinegar
1/2 c rice vinegar
1/2 c white vinegar
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c light brown sugar
1/2 t salt
1 lemon
6 pickling cucumbers, sliced

Place the garlic, jalapeno rings, celery seed, mustard seed, and onion in a jar or covered bowl and give them a shake to combine.

In a small pot, bring the vinegars, sugars, salt and lemon up to a boil. Remove from heat and slowly pour over the jalapenos.  In the event the jar/bowl is cold, you don't want to pour it in all at once and risk it cracking - starting slow will give the glass a chance to warm as you pour.

Allow the heat from the vinegar mixture to heat the jalapenos and take the raw crunch off of them as it cools, then add the cucumbers when the mixture if at or slightly above room temp to maintain the crisp of the cucumbers.  I don't know about you, but I can't stand a soggy pickle! Cover and refrigerate for at least a few hours before diving in.


Jar the jalapenos, onion, garlic, celery seed and mustard seed
Slice your cucumbers and set aside

 

Pour hot vinegar mixture over jalapenos, waiting until cool to add the cucumbers





2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. My Mom had sent me some pickled cukes/jalapenos she and my aunt came across at a craft show or something like that, and my Aunt was asking me about them last week - she's hoping to find that vendor again. That made me decide to try and play around with it. I'm thinking there is a TON of sugar in that version. I like these, but I'll keep playing until I at least find a happy medium so I can let them know they can make them at home. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...