Hye Thyme Cafe: A Berry Nice Salad Indeed

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Saturday, June 22, 2013

A Berry Nice Salad Indeed

Berry Nice Salad : Hye Thyme Cafe


I don't know about you, but I have a hard time stomaching the price of berries at the supermarket. I miss the days of growing up in MA surrounded by beautiful wild blueberries there for the taking. My Mom used to make the best blueberry jam and pies, and they didn't cost a dime - well, not for the berries anyhow. You can usually get a better buy on berries in the frozen food section, which is fine for some things, but not everything. I happened to pop into an Aldi's the other day, and when I saw how cheap the berries were, I grabbed a basket each of raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries.

My first thought was to make a crisp, but given that I usually reserve my fresh berry (except strawberries - they're normally cheaper) purchases for holidays and special occasions, I decided I wanted to keep them in their natural state. That's why I decided to make a salad. Sadly, there was a ginormous tub o' avocados there as well on the cheap, but they were all rock hard!


INGREDIENTS :
1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
1/3 c white balsamic vinegar
1 small clove garlic
1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
10 raspberries
2 T honey
1 T fresh lemon juice
_____________________________
2 heads romaine lettuce, torn (sliced is fine if being used quickly)
1/2 small sweet onion, sliced
1 small yellow bell pepper, sliced
6 oz each raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries
1 c salted whole cashews


Whisk together or process the dressing ingredients. I like to keep one of those little bullet blenders on hand for this sort of thing. I used to depend on my cordless  stick blender, but since I got the bullet, it has been very sad and lonely in the drawer. By the time I reach for it again, I'll be reminded that it needs to be fully charged after such a long break. I used to use it so much, I only needed to charge it for a few minutes, if at all. 

Toss the lettuce with half of your cashews, onion, bell pepper, and berries, then add just enough dressing for a light coating.

Transfer the salad to a serving platter and top with the remaining nuts and berries, serving the dressing on the side.


Berry Nice Salad : Hye Thyme Cafe


Berry Nice Salad : Hye Thyme Cafe


8 comments:

  1. Hey, your normal commenting is back!!! Yay!
    I'll never forget the wild blueberries we found on our vacation to Michigan. Delicious. And ruined our children of ever eating any blueberries from a store again.
    A friend just recently was gushing over the wonderful and cheap produce at Aldi's. They must have been making changes, because they certainly didn't have it when I used to go there with my grandma. NOw that two of you say so, guess I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SORRY about the comment thing! Sounded like a good idea to link to my G+, but I didn't realize that would preclude others from commenting. :(

      I still have a NOSE for blueberries. I'll be driving somewhere and suddenly perk up because I smell them. Of course that doesn't mean I can take them, but I know they're there ... ;)

      I got excited when I saw that a local farmer's market offers blueberry picking until I realized they were the big cultivated tasteless berries. Bummer!

      Delete
  2. The word "berry' made me stop by. Can't resist any berry post. Your salad looks delicious and so tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by. This was a nice change, but my absolute favorite is this Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing: http://hyethymecafe.blogspot.com/2011/06/strawberry-salad-with-poppy-seed.html

      Delete
  3. This looks nice and colorful and summery- will try out the dressing ( I prefer white balsamic so the salad doesn't get "coloured" - looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you might want to skip the raspberries in the dressing so it's not Pepto pink lol. It is a little on the tart side if you try it by itself, but it works great together with the sweetness of the berries, etc. :)

      Delete
  4. This looks delicious! I have tried spinach salad with strawberries and loved it, but never have tried raspberries or blackberries in a salad. It sounds so yummy though so next time I get some berries I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another reason I wish we had a Whole Foods or something like that near us - I like to mix my greens, like adding a bit of arugula or some baby field greens, but I had to be mass quantities where I am, and a lot ends up going to waste. :( One of my favorite salads with spinach was one I used to get at The Magic Pan Crepe Shop when I was a kid - Spinach Salad with Mandarin Oranges and Almonds - YUMMM!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...