Hye Thyme Cafe: Finish the Sentence Friday: I Blog Because ...

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, May 24, 2013

Finish the Sentence Friday: I Blog Because ...



This week's Finish the Sentence Friday starter is "I blog because ..."

A few years back, I was searching online for a recipe and stumbled upon a foodie site I was not familiar with.  I wandered around for a while looking at recipes, then realized that there was a chat forum, so I checked that out as well.  Something in that day's thread must have caught my attention, because I wouldn't normally have jumped in, but I did ... and ended up becoming "friends" [as much as you can online with complete strangers] with a handful of the regulars.

We would chat back and forth, send holiday cards to one another, create and compete in challenges [just for fun, not for prizes], and even arrange gatherings [I haven't had a chance to participate in one myself - time and distance issues].  Over time, a few of them started blogging and were encouraging me to do the same, based on the recipes I had shared with them and how much I enjoy cooking/baking.  

I kept telling them I don't cook often enough to keep up with a blog [wasn't the only cook in the household at the time], and I really hadn't done all that much cooking over the years.  For me, it was mostly the Armenian stuff around the holidays.  Growing up, the kitchen was Mom's domain.  When I was out of the house and living in an apartment on my own, I couldn't have been bothered to do much cooking just for myself - what's the fun in that??  It wasn't until I moved to NY and was always around my sister, her family, and the parade of kids always passing through - not to mention marching band functions, etc., that my time spent in the kitchen really started to increase.  There were willing guinea pigs every which way I turned.

I finally decided that even if I don't post every day [I try to at least post weekly], blogging would be a good kick in the butt to actually make all of those recipes in the ginormous recipe box pictured above.  I apparently love chicken - that's the biggest section.  Some of those recipes are from my grandmother, my sister, my mom and her sister, others from friends and co-workers over the years, but mostly, they are just recipes that I have clipped and accumulated along the way intending to try ... some day.

The irony is that blogging has gotten me to expand my horizons in terms of ingredients and techniques.  I've made some crazy and interesting things with mixed success, but I'm always trying something out of my head.  I still haven't tried many of the recipes in that box!  

Hmmm, maybe I should do my own version of Julie & Julia - instead of cooking all of the recipes in her book, I should start at the front and work my way through my own recipe box!

I haven't monetized my blog, haven't gone to any blogging conferences, don't advertise, etc.  I just do it for the fun of it and to maybe inspire others to get in the kitchen and play with their food.  Although blogging has opened me up to opportunities like playing with ingredients via Marx Foods when they pose blogger challenges, or reviewing Cookbooks for Quirk Books.  That's always fun!

As a bonus, when I'm visiting friends and family out of town now and want to make something for them, I don't have to schlepp recipes with me - I can just pull them up online wherever I am.  I do like the idea of making a few bucks blogging, but I really need to research that before jumping in - with my luck, I'd screw myself up and have the IRS knocking at my door. Unless they're looking for dinner, I really don't care to see them anytime soon!


Feel free to share in the comments below, on Facebook or Twitter using hashtag #FTSF, or if you're a blogger, link up with one of the host blogs:


Next week's sentence will be:  "My favorite movie of all time is ... "




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...