Hye Thyme Cafe: Cinnamon-Honey Peanut Butter Corn Flake Treats

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Saturday, May 11, 2013

Cinnamon-Honey Peanut Butter Corn Flake Treats



Not that long ago, I posted a recipe for Copper Pennies, mentioning that I had acquired the recipe while visiting with a friend's family when I was living in New Orleans. Ironically, I just recently got an email from her sister, who apparently stumbled onto my blog through one of her Google+ circles. She reminded me that I had made Peanut Butter Corn Flake Treats with them and mentioned that she has been making them ever since. I try to resist making them because I'm likely to mow through the entire batch in short order, but I figured it has been long enough and had planned to make them today. In another twist, just last night, someone Facebook messaged me asking for the recipe for Copper Pennies. And we've come full circle.  :)

It was my college roommate and her Mom who made the mistake of introducing me to these. I have noticed them popping up here and there on various blogs, and that a lot of people turn them into a drop-cookie rather than a bar. Some mold them into bars and ice them with a chocolate ganache or icing like with brownies. I usually keep it simple or will sometimes melt a little chocolate and drizzle it over the top.  

I decided to play around a bit today - first by using Lite Corn Syrup rather than regular Light v. Dark. I had inadvertently picked up the Lite at some point and it ruined the texture of whatever I was making, so it has been in time out in the pantry ever since. I was thinking this might be one application that wouldn't suffer from the texture difference. I also decided that since honey and peanut butter go so nicely together, I would swap out half of the corn syrup for honey. Peanut butter and honey made me think of cinnamon, so I threw in a bit of that too for a change.

INGREDIENTS :
1 c sugar
1/2 c Lite Karo Syrup (or regular Light Karo)
1/2 c honey
18 oz jar Jif Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter
2 t cinnamon
6 c Kellogg's Corn Flakes 
Cooking Spray


Over medium-low heat, stir together the sugar, corn syrup, and honey, bringing up to a slow boil to dissolve the sugar and thicken the syrup.

Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter and cinnamon until smooth.

Pour the cereal into a large bowl and pour the peanut butter mixture over the top, folding in to incorporate.

Press into a lightly sprayed casserole dish or other sided pan - or, like mentioned above, you can spoon them into drop cookies. I would suggest doing that on waxed paper or parchment. I use the end of my spoon or spatula to lightly press it into a pan. Let set for 20" or so to stiffen up ... if you can resist for that long!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...