Hye Thyme Cafe: The Pizza That Wasn't Meant to Be

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Pizza That Wasn't Meant to Be

Lahmejune Pizza


I recently read a post by another blogger who had made a version of Lahmejune.  I commented to her that I had been thinking about trying the topping on a regular pizza crust, and that has been stuck in my mind ever since.  OK, no problem.  Yesterday, I went to the grocery store, so I picked up a bag of fresh pizza dough from the refrigerated section and a few other things I needed, then I headed to the cheese section to grab a knot of string cheese.  Of course, because I was looking for it, they didn't have any.  They had it last week, and I'm guessing they'll have it next week, but because I wanted it yesterday, there was none to be found. That should have been my first tip that this wasn't going to turn out as planned.

While my dough was coming to room temp today, I threw together the topping; no problem there.  Then I tried to roll out the dough.  Now, I've seen my sister work with that stuff a million times, and it certainly looked easy enough.  For me, not so much.  After all sorts of contortions, I finally managed to get it into shape.  I set the oven to pre-heat to 450, brushed a little olive oil over the crust and spread the topping over it.  So far so good.

Not two minutes after I got it onto my pizza stone in the oven, the power went out!  I had just seen a few maintenance vehicles show up outside my apartment and a hot water heater go by, so my assumption was that they had shut the electricity for the whole building by mistake and it would come back on in a minute.  You know that old saying about assuming... Ten minutes later, I was starting to get mad.

I figured I'd take the opportunity to run down to Dunkin Donuts for a coffee, but when I got there, I realized their lights were off, so the power outage had nothing to do with the guys working in my building -- oops, sorry guys!

By the time I had electricity again, I was contemplating whether I should even attempt to finish the pizza or whether I would end up giving myself food poisoning, but like I always say ... I like a challenge.  I was planning on topping it with the string cheese toward the end, but because I couldn't get it, I went with some shredded mozzarella.  

Since we're on the topic, just FYI, if you enjoy string cheese and are used to those rubber sticks found in the section with the cottage cheese, cream cheese, yogurt, etc., head over to where the gourmet cheeses are and look for the real stuff!  I don't even know why they call those other things string cheese.  They don't pull apart into strings - they should call them stick cheese!  I've tried several different brands, and so far, the only one I'll even go near is the Weight Watchers version.  That one has a lot more flavor and a better string.  But I digress ...

No string cheese, a feeble attempt at rolling out the crust, and a power failure do not add up to a post-worthy recipe, so I'll actually get to that the next time around.  The topping was enough for two pizzas, so I have the rest parked in the freezer for the time being.  Maybe the next time, I'll be able to find the cheese.  I couldn't really judge how it cooked because it started off at 450, then the power went out, then it sat for quite a while and baked as the oven heated back up again when the power came on, so I don't even know for sure how long it would take.  

The silver lining is that I did eat some, it was delicious, and [so far] I haven't had to dial 9-1-1.

The sad thing is that I was also planning on making pickles today, having found a sale on seedless baby cukes yesterday, and I was going to make a batch of Peneuche Fudge, but the power kept going off and on, so I'm afraid to go near the kitchen again.  Maybe tomorrow.


Lahmejune Pizza
Lahmejune Pizza

Lahmejune Pizza


Have you ever encountered a power outage in the middle of cooking/baking something?  If so, how did it turn out??




2 comments:

  1. It really looks delicious. Sounds like everything was going against you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funniest part was that when the electricity finally came back on and the TV turned on, the program was The Big Bang Theory, and just a few seconds later, THEY had a power failure. :)

      Reminded me of the time I got seated on the jury in a burglary case, got home that night and found that someone had broken into my apartment. LOL

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...