Hye Thyme Cafe: Thai Chicken Pizza

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, April 19, 2013

Thai Chicken Pizza


Thai Chicken Pizza


I give up ... on store-bought pizza dough anyhow.  I had a heck of a time with my last attempt - first rolling it out, then having a power outage, but I figured that was a one-time deal since I've used the dough for bubble breads, breadsticks, poppers, calzones, etc. with no problem. Apparently, I just can't roll it out into it's intended purpose ... a pizza crust!  Next time, I'll either throw together my own and see how that works out, or pick up a Boboli.  I like Boboli, but growing up eating pizza at Papa Gino's in Massachusetts, I lean more toward a thinner-crust pizza.  (When I went to pull up the link for Papa Gino's, I saw that they have a Mac & Cheese pizza now - can't decide if that'awesome or disgusting!)

INGREDIENTS :
3 T Peanut Butter
2 T low-sodium Soy Sauce
2 t Sesame Oil
2 T Mayonnaise (Hellmann's for me)
1 T freshly grated Ginger
1/2 t Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Cooked chicken 
1 pizza crust (prepared or dough)
Cornmeal (optional)
Sweet Chili Sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot)
Shredded cheese (Mozzarella, Provolone, or a Pizza Blend)
2 scallions, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, sliced into thin rings
1 carrot, shredded or julienned
10-12 snow peas, chopped
Handful of mung bean sprouts
Peanuts (I used dry roasted, but any are fine)
Fresh chopped cilantro
1 fresh Lime


Preheat oven (and pizza stone if using one) to 375.

Whisk together the first six ingredients, then cut or tear your chicken into bite-sized pieces and stir it into the peanut sauce; set aside.  (I don't usually use mayo in a peanut sauce but decided it would work well here to carry the flavors and keep the chicken moist while baking.)

Peanut Sauce
Stir chicken into peanut sauce 








If using pizza dough, stretch/roll out crust on a lightly floured surface.  If using a pizza stone, you might want to use some cornmeal to make it easier to transfer to the stone and prevent sticking.

Spread crust with a thin layer of chili sauce.Pour about 2T of the chili sauce into the center of the pizza and use the back of a spoon to spread it out to
the edges, creating a thin layer.





Next add a layer of shredded cheese - I used a pizza blend here.

Sprinkle a thin layer of cheese over the chili sauce.  I used a pizza blend for my first layer and mozzarella for my top layer.





Top with chicken and any remaining sauce.Next add your chicken, and any peanut sauce remaining in the bowl.








Top with your veggies and another layer of cheese, finishing off with a handful of peanuts.  I rough chopped mine.


Thin sliced jalapeno, snow peas, and julienned carrot.
Top with mung bean sprouts. 

Finish off with more cheese and chopped peanuts.


Bake until the crust is cooked through and the cheese is golden and bubbly.  Time will vary depending on the thickness of your crust, whether you are using a pizza stone, etc.

Allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing, then top with cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice.

Bake until golden and bubbly.

  

Top with fresh cilantro and a sprinkle of lime.















I really liked this combination of ingredients, but the final product did not turn out as spicy as I was expecting with the crushed red pepper AND jalapeno, so you might want to increase one or both if you like it hot.  Or maybe add a shot or Sriracha.


7 comments:

  1. Girl you are so freakin' creative! I would probably eat so much of the ingredients that I'd be full when the pizza was done. I am never going to make my own pizza dough but I do know where to go get the good stuff. There's a pizza place here that will actually sell their dough, it's cheap too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of people who do that. Hmmm, wonder if I bring my pizza stone down to one here if they'll shape it for me LOL.

      Delete
  2. It's been a while since I had Pizza, and this looks amazingly delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a Pizzeria in Switzerland, and I must say that the idea of this one is new to me, but exciting. I think we will give it a try for a daily special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid the bean sprouts would be weird on the pizza, but not at all!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...