Hye Thyme Cafe: Grapefruit Sugar Scrub

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Grapefruit Sugar Scrub



Several years ago, one of my cousins gave me a grapefruit-scented sugar scrub as part of a Christmas gift.  I fell in love with it!  When I asked her where she got it, she told me a friend of hers has a beauty line, and she gave me the website so I could re-order.  I nearly fell over when I saw it was selling for $32!  There was no way I was going to spend $32 on a jar of sugar, and I certainly hope her friend gave her a discount.  I looked up the product online and found it was actually part of the Amway line.  I was able to get it on eBay for $6, which is still a lot for a jar of sugar, but I was willing to pay that because I liked it so much. Sadly, it has since been discontinued.

I've been seeing sugar scrubs all over Pinterest, but I hadn't gotten around to trying one until now.  The only reason I did is that a while back, I won a 3-month membership to the Harry & David Fruit of the Month Club.  This month's fruit was grapefruit, which I have never been a fan of.  I brought some of them over to my sister's house and kept a few for myself, still not sure what I would do with them - aside from trying a sugar scrub.  

The irony is that after I used the zest and some of the juice in the scrub, I didn't want to just throw away the rest of the grapefruit, so I ate it -- and loved it!!  I don't know if it's a matter of the soil content where H&D grows there or what, but if you aren't a fan and wish you were, definitely give their a try!  I checked the card that came with them to see if it mentioned a specific variety, but it doesn't.

INGREDIENTS :
2 c sugar
zest of 1 grapefruit
2 T fresh grapefruit juice
3/4 - 1 c baby oil 

Almost every site I look at that shows sugar scrubs has them in lovely little glass jars.  As nice as that might be for a photo op or gift-giving, the last thing I want to be handling in a ceramic shower/tub with oily hands is glass!  This is one of those places where recycling could come in handy.  I used a plastic storage container, but an empty cottage cheese or other such container would be great for this. 

Where most of the sites had you combine everything together, with the sugar/oil in a 2:1 ratio, one suggested adding the oil a little at a time. That actually worked out well for me.  The theory was that it would be less likely to dissolve the sugar if you gave it a coat of oil before stirring in the rest, but aside from that, I found that a whole cup of oil would have been way too much.  

Stir about 1/4 c of the oil into the sugar, then add the zest and juice, continuing to add oil until you reach a consistency you are happy with.  Another good thing about the plastic container is that some of the oil will separate and settle to the bottom after a while.  With the plastic, it's easy to just give it a shake to re-distribute without worrying about dropping it.

I opted to use the baby oil, first because it's cheaper than a lot of other oils and I wasn't sure if this would work at all.  Second, I happen to like the scent of baby oil.  That said, the scent is stronger than I remembered, so although the grapefruit does come through, the baby oil is more predominant.  Next time around, I'll cut it with some unscented baby oil or another oil.  Hmmm, maybe I'll try an almond scrub next.


   

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Your body. It exfoliates as it moisturizes. :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh almond! Thanks for the recipe. I'd like to try one. I made a scrub for Christmas gives with sugar and the Oil of Olay Dawn. It's on my site somewhere. It also smell wonderful. I also keep mine in a container like that. But I gave it was in glass jars. I hope no one gets hurt ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you try almond before me, let me know what you think. I love anything scented with almond, vanilla, or lemon!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...