Hye Thyme Cafe: Finish The Sentence Friday ...

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, April 12, 2013

Finish The Sentence Friday ...

If I could live anywhere ...


This week's Finish the Sentence Friday hop poses the question:  

If I could live anywhere ...

I would live on Cape Cod.  I grew up between Boston and the Cape, so I always summered on the Cape, then lived there for a few years before heading off to New Orleans.  Even though I didn't actually live there for long, the Cape has somehow always been "home" to me.  I know it's not the same anymore - everyone keeps telling me when they go that everything is shut down, for sale, has been torn down, etc.  I was there for a while when I first came back East after Hurricane Katrina and couldn't for the life of me find a job.  I kept reading stories in the newspaper about schools being consolidated and the concern over younger residents leaving in droves.  The fear was that with so many younger people leaving, there wouldn't be the support services (fire, police, etc.) in place for all of the older citizens remaining.  Now I'm reading about rampant drug problems, which I'm sure means an increase (or soon to be) in crime too.

Even so, if I had the money (rents on the Cape are crazy, which is one reason why so many people have left) and could find a decent job, I'd move there in a heartbeat.  There is nothing like being able to take a walk on the beach every night and fall asleep listening to the waves lapping on the shore or watching the sun rise/set over the ocean.  There was also the bonus of (usually) having less snow because there was so much salt in the air.  The trade-off, of course, was having to make sure you got your car washed often to avoid salt damage.  The only thing that ever drove me crazy living there was the summer traffic.  It seemed a small price to pay for the beauty and serenity.

The Cape has some fabulous restaurants and lots of antique stores to poke around in.  There is also Melody Tent, a great theatre-in-the-round. I've seen some awesome concerts there over the years, and because it's a small venue and in-the-round, you really can't have a bad seat - you're close no matter what row you're in, and the stage revolves.  Plus, the Cape is close enough to Boston to head that way when you want the city, or you can hop a ferry to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket for a weekend jaunt.  Oh, and as an added bonus, The Candy Co. on Rte. 28 in Yarmouth has the best fudge on the planet!!

Yup, whenever I need to go to my "happy place" in my mind for some reason, I automatically transport to the swing set on the beach behind The Blue Water Resort.  I used to love to end my evening walks with a little swing looking out over the water.  

I wanna go home!!!  :(

How about you?  Where would you live?  Someplace exotic perhaps?  




Feel free to share in the comments below, on Facebook or Twitter using hashtag #FTSF, or if you're a blogger, link up with one of the host blogs:


Next week's sentence will be:  "I thought I was so cool when I ..."





26 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photo! I've never been to Cape Cod, but it is a place I have always fantasized about visiting. Perhaps someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention the picture since I was disappointed that was the only thing I could come up with - quickly anyhow. All the other pics I have of the Cape either have a ton of people in them, are in the winter, snow, don't show the beach, etc. I tried to brighten it up, but that messed with the colors too much.

      Delete
  2. I am so blessed to live in your happy place! The Melody tent still rocks, we were there two summers ago to see the Doobie brothers of all acts.

    Come visit any time. I will leave a light on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I realized you were on the Cape. I used to live in S. Yarmouth. After Hurricane Katrina, I was in Brewster for a bit. Which end are you on?? Looks like the Doobies will be back this summer. The funny thing is that I grew up near Music Circus on the S. Shore but don't think I ever went there for some reason. Hey, thanks for keeping a light on for me. In the meantime, stop by The Candy Co. for some Peneuche for me. I take mine with no nuts. If Howie gives you a hard time, just ignore him! He always has a fit when I get it without nuts, so why does he sell it that way?!?! :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds perfect and definitely sounds like a great place to visit. Will keep that in mind for the future!! Thanks as always for linking up with us!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Call me if you do - maybe we can meet up with Kerri. :)

      Delete
    2. Definitely! We can have a finish that sentence convention on the beach!

      Delete
  4. You make it sound so idyllic, I want to go there with my daughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you DO go, and the girls like to swim in the ocean, I'd shoot for late July through August so the water is warm. I remember the days of being kids and swimming until our lips turned blue from the cold and the grown-ups yelling to us to come back up to the beach to thaw out. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh yes... you were right, the Cape and Hilton Head are so similar. I have actually never been there, but for some reason I have always believed that it would feel like home to me.....I'll meet you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to make it a blog conference as I think Janine, Maggie, and Kerri will be meeting us there too. ;)

      Delete
  6. I've never been to Cape Cod but that picture is wonderful and makes me relax just looking at it. And I want to meet you guys there too, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I visited once when I was in high school and have always wanted to go back. There is something about living by the ocean that just calms you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried those sound machines for sleep, but it's just not the same. Doesn't work. :(

      Delete
  8. I love the Cape! My great aunt had a beach house in Falmouth. I have fond memories of the beach there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - I always felt like we were "supposed to be" in Falmouth. Seems like that's where all the Armenians land ... Old Silver Beach. I was on the Hyannis end.

      Delete
  9. That sounds like a beautifully perfect place to live - apart from the drug problems, of course! I would love to live near the ocean, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to get homesick for the ocean when I was living in New Orleans. I would go to the park behind my apartment and sit by the man-made pond trying desperately to pretend - never quite worked LOL.

      Delete
  10. cool choice!
    I can relate...having been born and (semi)raised on the Vineyard!

    definite good choice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel bad for people who live on the islands but work in Boston for whatever reason. I can't imagine having to deal with getting stuck on one side or the other in bad weather when the ferries shut down. I had a semi-roommate when I first got out of college, and I was always having to drive down to Woods Hole to pick him up because he couldn't get back to the Vineyard.

      Delete
  11. I love just about any place close to the ocean. If there are mountains not far from the water, even better! Loved your picture, it reminds me of parts of Florida and Georgia at the water's edge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are the Blue Hills between where I grew up and Boston. My Dad used to take us hiking up there when we were kids. :)

      Delete
  12. What you describe sounds pretty amazing. Another place to add to the list of places to visit one day :-)

    Also, on a different note, I can't wait to check out the Armenian recipes, I feel like I've stumbled upon a treasure here! I am not too familiar with the Armenian kitchen, but I really love Georgian food. Wonder if there's a similarity? AND the photograph of your grandma is breathtaking! So glad I stumbled upon you through FTSF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with Georgian food, but I'll bet you're right. I knew that Armenia, Greece, Turkey, etc. have a lot of similar dishes, but I was surprised to find out a lot of the same dishes are made in Egypt and other countries as well. It would make sense since Georgia is another neighbor - strange you never really hear anything about there?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...