Hye Thyme Cafe: Carrot-Coconut Bars

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, April 7, 2013

Carrot-Coconut Bars

Carrot-Coconut Bars


I somehow ended up with a surplus of carrots, so I was thinking about throwing together a carrot bread for a change, like a banana or zucchini bread.  When I realized how thick the batter turned out though, I was a little concerned about it cooking through in the middle, so I pressed it into an 8x8" pan instead of a loaf pan.  That worked out great.

I really love these bars, but I'm having a hard time describing the texture. It's not as dense as a zucchini bread, but at the same time, it is very "meaty" with the coconut, so I'm thinking it feels more like a moist cornbread without that grit factor from the cornmeal.  Make sense?   I'll have to bring the rest to work tomorrow because I'm having a hard time staying away from it!

INGREDIENTS :
2 c flour
1 t powdered ginger
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 lg eggs
1/2 c light brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
3/4 c canola oil
1 t vanilla
1 c sweetened flaked coconut
2 c shredded carrots

  • Pre-heat oven to 350 and spray an 8x8" baking pan with PAM Baking.
  • With a fork, whisk together the flour, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  • In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs, then stir in the brown sugar and white sugar until nicely incorporated.
  • Stir the canola oil and vanilla into the egg mixture until well blended.
  • A little at a time, stir the flour into the egg mixture.
  • Stir in the coconut and shredded carrots.
  • Spread batter in prepared pan and bake for 45-50" until golden and toothpick tests clean when stuck in center.
  • Let cool completely before cutting.


Batter spread into prepared 8x8" baking pan.
Nice golden top. 

Breakfast anyone?




    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...