Hye Thyme Cafe: Finish This Sentence Friday

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, March 15, 2013

Finish This Sentence Friday



For this week's installment of Follow This Sentence Friday, we were presented with the following:

"I did something stupid once ..."

I'm fairly certain it would be safe to say that I do something at least relatively stupid on a weekly basis, but when pondering this sentence, two things came immediately to mind.

1.  When I was a baby, or at least younger than 4 because that's how old I was when we moved out of that house ... I managed to pirate my Mom's keys from out of her purse.  Back in the day, we didn't have all the child safety gadgets - you know, things like seatbelts, bike helmets, cabinet latches, outlet covers...

Yup, I may be the reason outlet covers were first invented!  At my height, looking at those two little slots and then at the keys, it seemed perfectly logical to stick the keys right in there.


I was thrown across the room, the electricity shorted out, the knees of my onesie were burnt out, and the keys fused to the floor.  As the story goes, a certain someone was more concerned about the TV (Bozo was on at the time) going out than her baby sister learning to fly.  By the way, that line across my forehead may or may not have been from the time I thought it would be fun to do somersaults down that staircase.

You would think I would have learned from that experience, but when I was 11 or 12, I was sitting up on the top of an open-up couch - not the kind that folds open from under the cushions, but the kind that opens more like a futon.  Needless to say, it fell out from under me and opened, snapping a lamp cord out of an outlet and leaving one prong still in the wall.  What did this genius do?  Grab the prong to pull it out.  NOT a good idea!

That apparently did the trick, because one afternoon at my college dorm, I walked into a friend's room to see her vibrating while hanging onto a desk lamp and her roommate attached to her, also vibrating.  The girl I was with grabbed the roommate and was added to the current.  They couldn't let go.  I couldn't get to the plug because they were in the way, so I kicked (sorry Kelley) the first one away from the lamp.  Thankfully we walked in when we did and I had learned my lesson and didn't also try to pull them away!  That was very freaky to see, and I actually thought they were kidding around for a fraction of a second.

2.  One summer when it was time to leave the beach house and head for home, I asked my parents if I could stay because I still had some time left before school started up.  They let me, but I didn't have a car at that point.  I went to go to work one day and couldn't find my keys anywhere!  Since I was the only one there, I left the downstairs door unlocked and crossed my fingers that nobody would break in.  This went on for a few days.  I started checking in crazy places like the freezer, washing machine, etc., but still no keys!  On the third or fourth day, it occurred to me that because I had been coming and going through the downstairs back door, I hadn't been checking the mail.  I opened the front door to get to the mailbox and tah dah ... my keys were dangling from the doorknob, right where I had left them when schlepping in several bags of groceries a few days back!!!  I'm very lucky that no burglars took me up on that open invitation.  Maybe one stopped by and thought it was a trap LOL.



If you want to either play along or read some other Follow This Sentence Friday posts, check out any of the host pages, and if you decide to share any to Facebook or Twitter, etc., be sure to use the hashtag #FTSF.

Stephanie - Mommy, For Real

Next week's sentence is:  "One time when I was bored out of my mind, I ..."








19 comments:

  1. Chris, you and I could be related and there are stories of stupid things I did from the time I was real little too. Like the time I threw my plastic ball toy and broke the picture tube TV or when I dumped a glass of water on the TV on the kitchen counter (I was about 2 years old and my mom used to bath me int he sink!) I could go on, but you get the point, I too was a walking disaster as a child, lol!! Thanks for linking up and look forward to next's weeks installment now, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, all that TV destruction!! So when you got your first computer, did you leave it wrapped in plastic just in case?? ;)

      Delete
  2. Your electricity stories are just downright scary! Lucky for your college friends that you learned your lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously though, that was a scary sight!

      Delete
  3. Good heavens! What is it with you and electricity? How completely terrifying those stories are!
    The keys in the door is hysterical, though. Perfect story for this prompt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I thought that one definitely qualified, although in my defense, I was just a BABY!! ;)

      Delete
  4. Ha! The other day in therapy the therapist gave Boo a metal knife to practice cutting wooden fruit (they lost the original knife apparently). The therapist blinked and Boo was at the outlet! Thankfully "C" is quicker than Boo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow- I can't believe you were actually electrocuted! For all the warnings about kids and outlets, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone actually sticking something in there and getting shocked! And the college story? Unbelievable! Thank goodness you were so quick thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I'm "special" like that - doing things that don't happen to other people LOL. As for the college incident, it's just a good thing that whatever shoes I was wearing didn't pick up the charge too or we would have had a whole conga line going! ;)

      Delete
  6. GIrl you are very lucky on all accounts that you are here to tell the story. This post made me have a hot flash! Wooo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a "hair raising" experience. ;)

      Delete
  7. OMG you are so lucky that you were okay as a kid! I do believe that you are the very first person that I know who has been electrocuted! Actually, your story makes me feel better about outlets in general. My son has already figured out how to beat all of the "child-proof" ones. All of them. Awesome funny stories. And you saved your friends lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually used to go to summer camp when I was a kid, and there was a Swedish kid who got struck by lightening not once, but twice!! THAT was lucky!

      Delete
    2. You know what I mean ... not that he got struck by lightening twice but that he survived it LOL.

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness, that is scary! You have inspired me to recheck all our babyproofing tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh OUCH! Man, I am glad they DO have those outlet covers now. My parents were against them at first, because they "are SO ugly". I told them the girls wouldn't be visiting them until they were installed. We compromised and they have them in the rooms the girls are in the most and we just have to watch them closer in the other rooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have THEM read this then! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...