Hye Thyme Cafe: Finish The Sentence Friday ...

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, March 22, 2013

Finish The Sentence Friday ...



Judging by the other posts I've read so far, everyone seems to be stumped by this week's inspiration:

One time when I was bored out of my mind, I ...

When I read this last week, I started thinking about it, and for the life of me, I couldn't come up with anything either.  I'm apparently not easily bored.  I mean seriously, if worse comes to worst, there has always been TV, and I usually have a book stashed somewhere nearby.  That said, as I was reading the other posts people had come up with ... or not come up with as the case may be ... one thing did come to mind.

After collecting approximately six bazillion recipes over time, none of which I had actually gotten around to attempting, I decided that it was time to organize them somehow.  Up until the most recent version, one of my favorite computer resources has always been the office version of Outlook, because it is so versatile.  I set up a custom recipe card form that would print on my preferred 5x8" index cards, photo included.  By doing that, I was able to categorize all of my recipes by multiple sort options.  Say I had an appetizer that had chicken in it, I might have tagged it with "appetizers," "chicken," and "holiday."  I could also set up any kind of view I wanted, which made it easy to print out lists and menus.  That worked great - for a while!

There came a point where I switched computers and upgraded my software.  It wasn't until then that I realized you cannot export custom forms from Outlook.  Or at least you couldn't.  I haven't dared try it again to find out if that has since changed.  No matter what I did, it wouldn't work.  I was able to export some of the fields, but not all.  I was crushed to say the least.  Soooo ...

This other time when I was bored out of my mind, I ...

Re-typed every one of those six bazilion recipes into Word and cross-referenced them to an Index.  Now, when I want to retrieve one of those recipes, I simply pull up the Index, Ctrl+Click the recipe, and it opens directly to it.  Although I have them sorted into only a handful of documents by type (too many for one ginormous document), I can add them to the Index under any category I want.  The bookmark still opens to the correct document/place.  I can't sort the recipes or make lists like I could in Outlook, but at least they are more manageable this way.

It actually turned out to be [kind of] a good thing in the long run, since when each of my nephews, and one of their girlfriends, went to college, they asked me to make a cookbook for them.  It was a no-brainer doing that from Word.

Now, of course, the problem is that I have a bazillion new recipes stored all over the place.  Pinterest for one.  I love Pinterest.  You should check it out if you're not familiar with it.  It's like a virtual tackboard where you can pin all sorts of things.  Then there are the recipes from other blogs that I follow - those are categorized in my Google Reader feed which, sadly, is going away in July, so if you follow blogs there, it's time to find a new resource!  Then there are the recipes I come across in magazines. In an effort to cut down on paper/clutter, if I come across a recipe that interests me, I'll first Google it to see if I can find it online.  Even if the magazine doesn't post their recipes, or you need to be a member, often times you will find that someone else has posted it.  If I do find it online, I'll e-mail it to myself and store it by category.  If I can't, and it's not a magazine I plan to keep, I'll tear out the page and scan it.

So, how do YOU store your recipes???

And, if you've got a "bored" story to share, feel free to leave it in the comments below, or if you're a blogger, link up with one of the host blogs:


If you want to plan ahead to jump in next week, that sentence will be:  

"If I could hang out with any celebrity, it would be ..."




19 comments:

  1. Chris, love how you organize your recipes. I don't have as many as you and have a box with cards and my favorite cookbooks, too. And as you said love Pinterest, too!! Thanks for linking up and seriously I know this one was definitely a bit of a challenge, but loved what you did with it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought reading the other posts would spark a memory of some crazy thing I did when bored at some point, but apparently this is as crazy as it gets ... at least when "bored." ;)

      Delete
  2. OMG! My recipes are all over the place. I use pinterest now like if I get a recipe from you, it's pinned. Others are in a file cabinet printed, and put into a recipes file - no order - just stuffed in there. I bought a nice binder and everything to retype, and print them onto some pretty paper I guess I'm going to have to be bored out of my mind to tackle that project. I also have some recipes in the notes app of my phone because it also automatically syncs my computer. Kudos to you! Anyway if you join bloglovin you can import all the blogs you follow on Google Reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember setting up a profile on bloglovin' a while back (ironically, the icon is right next to this window as I'm typing), but because I was using Reader, I never looked at it for that particular purpose. Time to give it a second look. Hoping you can tag like in Reader. And thanks for pinning my recipes. :)

      Delete
  3. ha, ha! I've read some of these posts with this prompt too, and it does seem like everyone had trouble with it. Some people had to reach back to other decades to find inspiration. It seems recipes keep you from being bored. That's just awesome, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be even better if I got around to trying them, but as it is, I mostly cook/bake "out of my head," or I'll look online for something as a reference point and then go with whatever is in my mind. Some day ... :)

      Delete
  4. Ha! I was totally stumped and couldn't recall a time when life was boring. I think the girls have given me amnesia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a tough one! I wonder who had what in mind when they came up with this week's. ;)

      Delete
  5. OH my gosh, what a project! Kind of inspired me to reorganize my recipes- they are ALL over the place and my system is terrible. Probably a good use of my time...the next time I'm bored!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's terrible! It's like bunnies procreating ... only they take up less space. ;)

      Delete
  6. I will attempt to write a Comment, having trouble with my computer...if this Comment does not come through, let me know...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am majorly impressed by your recipe organization. My technique is to rip the recipe out of a magazine and then stuff it in a book. I will find a recipe, use it til no one wants to eat the dish anymore and then it disappears again for 6 months. I like your way better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the tough thing about food blogging - you can't really repeat or you have too many gaps. I've got enough as it is. ;)

      Delete
  8. This is my first time to visit your blog and participate in FTSF. I am amazed at your recipe organization. I'm beginning to think bloggers don't get bored. They are very productive people. I am following you on GFC, I have to see some of these great recipes!

    http://agutandabutt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That amount of work would take most of us years and even then we wouldn't finish. Well done! It's also a wonderful gift to be able to give recipe books away to family. Thanks for visiting Amanda's Books and More. I'm now following with Google+ and Bloglovin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I'm a fast typist. It was definitely a boost when they asked for the cookbooks. :)

      Delete
  10. Wow, I'm impressed that you organized all of your recipes. For FTSF, I organized my closet. Not nearly as cool.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...