Hye Thyme Cafe: Baileys Caramel Chocolate Cake

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Baileys Caramel Chocolate Cake

Decorated with cream cheese frosting and toasted almonds.

This was my contribution to the family St. Patrick's Day dinner this year. My sister was making a boiled dinner and Irish Soda Bread, so I offered to make dessert. I was first contemplating a "green" option, but I didn't have the tools necessary for what I had in mind, so decided to go with Baileys instead.

INGREDIENTS:
2 c cake flour
2 c castor sugar
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
10 oz plain Greek yogurt
1/2 c canola oil
3 T Baileys Caramel
2 eggs

ICING:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
8 oz butter, softened
4 c powdered sugar
2 T Baileys Caramel

GARNISH
Sliced almonds, toasted and crushed

  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until the cocoa is evenly distributed.
  • Add the yogurt, canola oil, and Baileys, and beat well.
  • Add the eggs, beating well until nicely incorporated.
  • Spray 2 cake rounds with PAM Baking and fill evenly with batter.
  • Bake +/- 35" until toothpick tests done.  *
  • Cream together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
  • Add in the powdered sugar, a little at a time, until well incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
  • Add the Baileys and beat until well distributed.
  • Toast the almonds in a dry pan, immediately removing from heat when done.
  • When cool to the touch, crush some of the almonds with your hand.
  • Ice the cooled cake with the cream cheese icing, then press the crushed toasted almonds around the outside.
* Although we all loved the flavor of this cake, I have to admit that it turned out a bit on the dry side. When looking at various cake recipes before starting this one, they all said to bake the cake at 350 for 40-45". I had this in the oven in one room, while doing some work in another. At about 30", it "smelled done" to me. I glanced at the clock and saw there were at least 10" to go still, so I ignored my inner voice and kept working. About 5" later, I couldn't help it - my nose was telling me it was done, even thought it shouldn't have been. Sure enough!

You can see in this picture how it has pulled away from the sides of the pan. When you just start to see that happening, that's another good indication that something is ready.

Pulling away from the sides of the pan is an indication of being fully baked.

Always trust your nose when baking! I'll definitely be checking this earlier next time, but I might also add a touch more yogurt ... just in case.  ;')

Slice of Baileys Caramel Chocolate Cake


4 comments:

  1. Sheer Elegance lovely recipe and photo! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMmmmm...this cake looks absolutely divine! I'm definitely printing off the recipe. Thanks for stopping by my blog from TALU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make sure you keep an eye on it so it doesn't over-bake. Hope you like it!! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...