Hye Thyme Cafe: Pop-Up Apple Pancake

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pop-Up Apple Pancake


Maybe it's just because I'm not really a breakfast person, but I don't typically think to make these until I find myself wondering what to do with an apple or two that have been sitting around uneaten.  This time, I actually made it on purpose.  I was walking through the produce department the other day, and when I passed by the apples, this image floated into my head.

It's super easy to make, and if you've got hungry guys in the house, you can make them each their own.  Otherwise, you can slice it into wedges to be served with your favorite syrup.  It's a nice brunch option as well.

INGREDIENTS :
1 large or 2 small apples
1 t cinnamon
1 t sugar
1/2 c milk
1 t vanilla
2 eggs
3/4 c flour
1/4 t salt

  • Spray a pie plate with PAM Baking and set aside.
  • Preheat oven to 425.
  • Peel, core, and slice apple(s), arranging the slices in a spiral in the pie plate.
  • Sprinkle the apples with the 1t each of cinnamon and sugar.
  • Whisk together the milk, vanilla, eggs, flour, and salt to form the batter.
  • Pour the batter over the apples, giving the pie plate a little wiggle to make sure the batter settles in around the apple slices.
  • Bake for +/- 30" until puffed and golden.
  • Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
  • Serve with butter, fresh fruit, and/or syrup of choice.

NOTE:  If you are working with a type of apple that you know to be particularly juicy, rather than sprinkling the cinnamon/sugar over the slices while they're in the pie plate, toss the cinnamon/sugar with the apples in a separate bowl and let it sit for a few minutes to release some of the liquid.  That way, you can pour it out and won't end up with a soggy-bottomed pancake.  When I can find it, my favorite syrup with these is an almond syrup.




























9 comments:

  1. Oh my!! I'm so gonna try this!! I'm having eating issues with the chemo & pancakes are my favorite right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww, we've gotta come up with something better than pancakes to get you through!!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to try this for my Tornigs who are coming to visit during their school vacation in one month; in fact, it looks so delicious, I think I'll give the recipe a test run tomorrow! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question: 425 degrees F. doesn't crack the glass pie plate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby would flip over this:) Following you GFC~ Thanks for dropping by Turnips 2 Tangerines~ TALU Lynn H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you as a new follower and to see you had a chance to wander off the TALU post. :)

      Delete
  5. My daughter's two favorite things, apples and pancakes! I'll have to give this a try. It's so interesting that you put it in the oven. I've never heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister got me making these, but I've seen plain ones in restaurants before - Dutch Babies. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...