Hye Thyme Cafe: Losh Kebab (Armenian Hamburgers)

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Losh Kebab (Armenian Hamburgers)

Losh Kebab (Armenian Hamburgers) : Hye Thyme Cafe


If you live near an Armenian church and happen to notice when they are hosting a bazaar/festival, make sure you stop in for lunch! You might automatically be enticed by the Shish Kebab, but don't pass up the opportunity to try the Losh Kebab instead. They are usually served up with pilaf, some salad, and pita bread. And, of course, you can get Paklava for dessert. Losh Kebab is the Armenian answer to the Hamburger. In this case, it's either lamb or a combination of beef and lamb. You might also see them served as Lule Kebab, which is when they are shaped into a tube and skewered before grilling.

INGREDIENTS :
1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb ground lamb
1 lg onion, diced small
1 green bell pepper, diced small
1 c fresh chopped parsley
3 T tomato paste
1/2 t allspice
1 t black pepper
2 t salt
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1/4 c flour
1 T fresh lemon juice

Mix all of the ingredients together until well blended and form into oval patties (makes 8-10).

Grill or broil to preferred done-ness.

I received a small panini press as a Christmas gift this year and hadn't used it yet. Since I don't have a grill anyhow, rather than broiling them, I sprayed the panini press with PAM and cooked the burgers on it for about 8".

Because they are so juicy and flavorful, you really don't need to put anything on them, but as an American kid growing up eating hamburgers with ketchup, etc., I'll skip the lettuce, pickles, and mustard, but I do automatically feel the need to use a little ketchup. Some people like them with thin sliced raw onion or tomato, or even more parsley. You might also come across them served with a Tzatziki type yogurt dip.


Losh Kebab (Armenian Hamburgers) : Hye Thyme Cafe
Losh Kebab (Armenian Hamburgers) : Hye Thyme Cafe


Losh Kebab (Armenian Hamburgers) : Hye Thyme Cafe


6 comments:

  1. Yummy! Did them in the George Foreman grill, very good. Did them again on a grill, much juicier and more flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them! I don't have a grill, so I have to make do with either my Panini Maker (shown above), or a grill pan on the stove. Although I agree they would probably be more flavorful on the grill, I'm surprised they were jucier that way. Maybe that direct heat immediately sealed in the juices where the pan is slower. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. I put in coriander and wow do they taste good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to remember to try that next time. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...