Hye Thyme Cafe: Copper Pennies (Carrot Salad)

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, February 28, 2013

Copper Pennies (Carrot Salad)

Copper Pennies (Carrot Salad) : Hye Thyme Cafe

The first time I had Copper Pennies was when visiting a friend's parents in Alabama one weekend several years ago. Her step-mom made them, and I had to make sure to get the recipe before I left. Served cold, this is a very refreshing salad, but if you want, you could certainly serve them hot as a side dish, then refrigerate the leftovers to have the rest as a cold salad.

I did tweak the recipe a bit. I have reduced the sugar by half, decreased the oil (and switched to canola), increased the Worcestershire, and added some black pepper and Sriracha for a little heat. I also skip the step of par-cooking the carrots. That seemed counter-intuitive to me since you will be pouring a hot liquid over them anyhow. I like my carrots to still be crisp, so pouring the hot liquid over them cooks them just enough to take the raw crunch off of them.

INGREDIENTS :
2 lbs carrots
1 lg sweet onion
1 green bell pepper
1 can tomato soup
1/4 c canola oil
1/2 c sugar
1/4 t black pepper
3/4 c white vinegar
2 T Worcestershire
2 T Sriracha

  1. Peel and slice your carrots into coins, setting them in a heat-resistant bowl with a cover.
  2. Dice the onion and add it to the carrots.
  3. Dice the bell pepper and set aside.
  4. In a small pot, combine the tamato soup, oil, sugar, black pepper, vinegar, Worcestershire, and Sriracha and bring to a boil over med-high heat.  
  5. Stir and let boil for about a minute to make sure the sugar has dissolved and the tomato soup had broken down and incorporated into the other ingredients.
  6. Pour the hot soup mixture over the carrots and onions, stirring to coat well.
  7. Lightly cover the bowl to allow the residual heat to cook the carrots and onions a bit.  
  8. If you like your peppers to be soft,  go ahead and add them while the sauce it hot. Because they cook more quickly, I prefer to wait until the mix has cooled to just above room temp to add them.
  9. When cool enough to refrigerate, cover and chill.


Copper Pennies (Carrot Salad) : Hye Thyme Cafe
Copper Pennies (Carrot Salad) : Hye Thyme Cafe

 
Copper Pennies (Carrot Salad) : Hye Thyme Cafe

Copper Pennies (Carrot Salad) : Hye Thyme Cafe


10 comments:

  1. Yummy! I've been trying to replicate the carrots I get at a local restaurant. They are steamed but sweet. There is no sauce at all. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, they might just sugar the water they steam them in. I know a lot of people who do that with corn on the cob.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Patti. They are really good, and I like the addition of a little heat. :)

      Delete
  3. Looks great, gonna try this after chemo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it a matter of certain things you aren't supposed to eat, or just don't feel like eating?
      :(

      Delete
  4. That's a pretty fun name for a dish! I ahev all the ingredients at home so I might be able to make that tonight. thanks for sharing. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it. I've been munching on this batch a little every day.

      Delete
  5. I don't know many recipes with carrot. This one sounds like a great side dish! And I can have it cold in summer.Love a little heat in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's when I usually make it - in the summer. I just happened to have been craving it. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...