Hye Thyme Cafe: Buffalo Chicken Tacos

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, February 4, 2013

Buffalo Chicken Tacos


Normally, when someone mentions tacos to me, what comes to mind are the crunchy-shelled ground beef version with tomatoes, onions, lettuce, shredded cheese, maybe some salsa, sour cream and cilantro. Sometimes my sister will call or e-mail me on a night when I'll be there for dinner, letting me know it's taco night.  I don't know why, but I'm always disappointed to get there and realize she made soft-shelled chicken tacos.  I like them, it's just not what I was expecting.  It's like when we used to hear we were having pizza for supper as kids and would be all psyched only to get home and realize our grandmother had made a homemade version using some sort of tube dough for a crust.  It was fine ... just not what we were expecting.

So why it popped into my head to make Buffalo Chicken Tacos the other night is beyond me.  I'm just glad that I did!  I'll have to make sure to tell my sister to try them.  Wonder how they'd be in a soft-shell.  Actually, I think that part of the problem for me with soft-shell tacos is that it seems like a wrap or a lazy burrito or something rather than a taco.  The only time I use them intentionally is if I'm making double-deckers; a soft shell taco slathered with refried beans, then filled with a stuffed crunchy taco.

Aside from being mighty tasty, these are great for if you're in a rush. Maybe you're getting home from work late and have to run to the market but don't want to be cooking for an hour.  Just grab a rotisserie chicken and some taco shells and you're good to go.  I'm assuming you already have Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce at home - if not, what's wrong with you?!?  You can have these on the table in 15".

INGREDIENTS:
Crunchy Corn Taco Shells
1 onion, diced
1 T butter
Cooked chicken, torn or diced
Frank's Red Hot Wings Buffalo Sauce
Shredded Lettuce
Celery, diced
Shredded Cheese
Ranch Dressing

While you are heating your taco shells per the package instructions, cook the onion in the butter just until it starts to soften, then stir in the chicken and at least enough Frank's to coat - you can always add more to taste or offer the bottle for anyone who wants more.  The chicken is already cooked, so you just want to make sure it's heated through.






Just before serving, stir most of the celery into the chicken mixture, reserving some for garnish.


When your shells come out, line the bottoms with shredded lettuce, then top with the chicken mixture and some shredded cheese.  I used cheddar, but if you absolutely must [gag], feel free to use bleu cheese. Drizzle a little ranch dressing over the top and sprinkle with the reserved celery. 

That's it!  In the time it takes you to toast the shells, you can have your filling ready to go.










4 comments:

  1. They look fabulous!! Will you adopt me?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I would if you lived closer. We'd have fun! :)

      Delete
  2. Just saw this recipe and they look awesome! My family would love these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister cooks frozen chicken tenders and makes wraps like this. I'm surprised that didn't make me think of this sooner!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...