Hye Thyme Cafe: Breakfast for Dinner by Lindsay Landis & Taylor Hackbarth

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Breakfast for Dinner by Lindsay Landis & Taylor Hackbarth



If the names sounds familiar, I'm not surprised.  Some of you are familiar with husband and wife team Lindsay and Taylor from their blog, Love & Olive Oil, while others of you are familiar with Lindsay from her first cookbook,  The Cookie Dough Lover's Cookbook.  

This particular book is especially great for people like me who aren't programmed for breakfast in the morning.  For me, breakfast generally consists of hitting the drive-thru at Dunkin Donuts for a coffee on my way out for the day.  I love breakfast foods - it's morning I'm not a fan of, so getting up early enough to plan for breakfast isn't likely to happen. However, I often make breakfast foods for dinner.  

Although I didn't feel the passion in this book that came through in Cookie Dough, and I found the title to be somewhat misleading, it does contain more than 100 great recipes, some twists on old favorites, and some new and exciting.  As far as the title goes, I was expecting all dinner (entree) items, where the book is actually broken down into Main Dishes, Sides & Starters, Drinks & Desserts.  Not a bad thing, just not what the title implied.  I also find it a stretch to consider a Green Pea Carbonara to be a breakfast item turned into dinner.  It may be an interesting twist on a traditional Carbonara, and yes, it has eggs and bacon in it, but it has always been a dinner item.

That said, I still love the book, and the great photography makes me want to try dishes I normally wouldn't think to order, much less make myself.  Take the first recipe for instance - Steak & Eggs Benedict.  I'm squeamish about eggs, so if I do make them, they're scrambled dry or in an omelet.  The mere thought of a runny egg sends a shiver down my spine, but man they look delicious!  And the next recipe - Shakshuka, again features poached eggs, this time in a fabulous tomato sauce.  I keep eyeing that one too!

Here's a sampling of what you'll find in each section:

MAIN DISHES
  • Italian-Style Stuffed French Toast
  • Andouille Shrimp & Grits
  • Bacon Fried Rice
  • Goat Cheese Monte Cristos
  • Grapefruit Risotto with Seared Scallops

SIDES & STARTERS
  • Maple-Glazed Pork Meatballs
  • Parmesan Beignets
  • Mini BLT Biscuits
  • Rosemary & Olive Oil Scones
  • Bloody Mary Tomato Soup

DRINKS & DESSERTS
  • Maple Bacon Cupcakes
  • Bananas Foster Crepe Cake
  • White Chocolate & Blueberry Tart
  • Bacon Old-Fashioneds
  • Grapefruit Herb Sodas

For me, the most drool-worthy recipe in this book, and the first one I'll be trying, is hands-down the Breakfast Sausage Ravioli!  I'm wishing this book was a scratch & sniff right about now.

This one doesn't hit the shelves until the 12th, so pre-order your copy today:


As always, a big thanks to Quirk Books for providing me with a review copy, and thanks to Linsday & Taylor for some great new "brinner" ideas!  Can't wait to make those ravioli!




4 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of morning either, but I LOVE breakfast food. My husband was a short-order cook back in the day, so, if I'm lucky, he'll make breakfast. If he doesn't, it's runnin on dunkin for me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might make scones on a weekend or pop a bagel in the toaster now and then, but that's it for me for mornings. I'm lucky if I can wake up early enough to throw on my clothes and slap on some eyeliner on my way out the door.

      Delete
  2. My husband loves breakfast foods, and I never have time to make them in the morning, so this might be a great book to check out. Thanks for the title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of great recipes. The Mini BLT Biscuits look really good, and the Breakfast Sausage Ravioli. That one looks a lot better than it sounds. Can't wait to try it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...