Hye Thyme Cafe: Avocado Salad Sandwich

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, February 21, 2013

Avocado Salad Sandwich

Avocado Salad Sandwich

One day last week, I found myself contemplating avocados.  Yes, I do strange things like contemplate avocados.  I got thinking about how their texture is similar to that of a hard-boiled egg, so I decided to give it a try as a substitute in an egg or chicken salad type application.  It actually worked out great, and I didn't do anything different to it than what I would have used/done with the egg or chicken.  I'll probably play around with variations at some point, but I wanted to make a true test of the "traditional" version.

INGREDIENTS :
1 celery stalk
3 kosher baby dill pickles
2 scallions (or minced onion)
1/2 t yellow mustard
2 avocados
salt / pepper
bread or rolls of choice
lettuce (optional)
cucumber (optional)

Start by dicing your celery, pickles, and scallion/onion.  I usually use onion in my salads, but I happened to have a few scallions kicking around that might not otherwise have been used, so I opted to throw those in today.

To your diced mixture, add the yellow mustard.  I have gotten into the habit of cutting back on the mayo in this type of salad by including some mustard, which is not just flavorful but better for you.  I only added a small amount here, but again, I wanted to make it a true test, so I didn't want to skip it altogether.  Because of the creaminess of the avocado, I did not use mayo at all, but if you still want that flavor, you could always spread some on your bread.

Mash one of your avocados and dice the other.  If working with avocados is new to you, simply run a knife lengthwise around the entire fruit, and twist to separate the halves.  Hit the pit with the blade of a knife and twist to pop it out, then you can run a spoon between the skin and the flesh of the avocado to easily separate them.

Stir the mashed avocado into the veggie mixture, along with a sprinkling of salt and pepper, then gently fold in the diced avocado so you have some different textures going on.

I always use lettuce and/or sprouts on my sandwiches.  I didn't have sprouts today (would have been great with this), but I did start with a layer of lettuce, then piled on the avocado mixture.  Just for the heck of it, since I had a partial cucumber in the fridge, I cut a few thin slices and added those to the top of my sandwich too.

If I had been blindfolded, I would have thought I was eating an egg salad sandwich with some avocado mixed in.  You really don't miss the eggs at all!  If you're skeptical, try it the other way around and work your way up to it -- add some to your egg salad.  (I realize that goes totally against my no mixing policy - I hate eggs in my chicken salad - but that's OK.)

Avocado Salad Sandwich


Avocado Salad

Avocado Salad Sandwich
Avocado Salad Sandwich




5 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! I can't eat eggs anymore, and I love avocados!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like red onion. You think that would work instead of scallions or regular onions. So no mayo? It's sounds gross to even ask but I was just checking ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red onion would be great - just think how well it works in Guacamole! As for the mayo, that's one reason why I mashed the first avocado - so you would have some of that creamy texture without actually having to include any mayo - but I diced the second avocado so it would have a more solid texture like eggs would. :)

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! Thanks for testing this out and sharing. I love avocado- unfortunately, no one else at my house does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone in our family loves avocados, but I had never thought to do this before. I kept automatically wanting to add things like cilantro but didn't want a "Guacamole Sandwich." :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...