Hye Thyme Cafe: Cap'n Crunch French Toast

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Saturday, January 19, 2013

Cap'n Crunch French Toast

Cap'n Crunch French Toast


Sometimes you just need to feed your inner child. Last week, I was wandering around a Big Lots and a little box of Cap'n Crunch called out to me from an end cap. I just couldn't resist! I haven't kept up on the news, but apparently the Captain hasn't been retired as was heavily reported last year. I for one am glad. I don't eat it often, but I do love me a bowl now and again! The Captain was hardly ever allowed in our house growing up, so I would have to wait until I slept over at my best friend's house. HER Mom even bought Cap'n Crunch with Crunch Berries!! On the other hand, mine would occasionally come home from the grocery store with a box of Quisp, which struck me as Cap'n Crunch shaped like a flying saucer. I'm not quite sure why one was OK over the other, but that's her.

So anyhow, a few years back, I was watching one of Guy Fieri's shows, probably Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, and my ears perked up when I heard someone talking about Cap'n Crunch French Toast. I mentioned it to my sister, who immediately went out and got a box for the next time the boys were around for breakfast. It's not something we'd make all the time, but it's definitely a now-and-again type of treat.

I don't recall if they had mentioned any other specific ingredients on the show. You could certainly make this with Texas Toast or some other type of bread, but if I bought a loaf, I'd use a few slices and the rest would sit in the freezer and eventually become bread crumbs, so rather than wasting a whole loaf, I stuck with a hearty country white.

Play around with it and see what you like, but here's what I used:

INGREDIENTS :
Country White Bread
Eggs
Light Cream
Vanilla
Cinnamon
Cap'n Crunch - crushed


I beat a few eggs with a splash of cream, some vanilla, and a sprinkling of cinnamon, soaked the bread in the egg mixture, then pressed it into crushed Cap'n Crunch and cooked  it over med-high in a pan sprayed with PAM baking.  

You can use a rolling pin or meat mallet to crush the cereal if you want, but I just threw some in a plastic bag and pressed it with the palm of my hand to crush it. You do want some chunky pieces.

And don't forget, if you're making bacon to go along with it - BAKE IT!!!  For that matter, maybe I'll try baking the French Toast next time and see how that turns out. This was my dinner last night - with just a little drizzle of maple syrup.


Cap'n Crunch French Toast

Cap'n Crunch French Toast


Cap'n Crunch French Toast


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...