Hye Thyme Cafe: Cantaloupe-Prosciutto Scones

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, January 7, 2013

Cantaloupe-Prosciutto Scones



When stopping by the local distributor to stock up on take-out containers and that sort of thing before Christmas, I noticed that they had a great assortment of dried fruit.  Among the usual pineapple, papaya, apricots, etc., I noticed that they had cantaloupe as well.  I had never seen dried cantaloupe before, so I was eager to try it.  I snacked on some, but I would actually have preferred it if it had been unsweetened.  Most places seem to sell sweetened dry fruit, which is one reason I like the local Amish market - you have the option of unsweetened.

Knowing that cantaloupe and prosciutto pair so well together, I decided to try using some of the cantaloupe to make scones.  I like them at room temp, but holy cow, when I tried one hot out of the oven, I was shocked by how concentrated the cantaloupe flavor was.  What a happy find this turned out to be!!

INGREDIENTS :
2 1/2 c flour
5 t baking powder
4 t sugar
2 lg eggs
3/4 stick of butter
3/4 c heavy cream
1 c chopped dried cantaloupe
3 oz pkg prosciutto, diced

Normally, when making scones, I'll combine the dry ingredients, cut in the butter, then add the cream and eggs, followed by whatever add-ins I'll be using.  Then I pat out the dough and use round fluted cookie cutters to shape them.  For some reason, last night, I just threw everything but the cantaloupe in prosciutto together in the food processor and gave it a spin, turned it out onto my work surface and quickly kneaded in the cantaloupe and prosciutto.  If you over-work the dough, the scones will be tough.

I decided to go with the more rustic approach of patting the dough into a disc and cutting it into wedges for a change.  I used a pizza wheel to cut them.  Bake at 350° on parchment-lined baking tray until golden, 30-35".

All I can say is that I hope I can find the cantaloupe again.  I'd hate to think this will be the one and only time I get to have these!  They were that perfect combination of sweet and salty, with a flaky tender center and slightly crisped edges.  I suppose I could dry my own cantaloupe ...








 



 




4 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting!! They look great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Interesting" Is that your diplomatic way of saying GROSS??? ;)

      Delete
  2. :Sounds (and looks) absolutely delicious. But where do you find an Amish market?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the cantaloupe at an Italian store, but for the Amish market, aside from large communities in Ohio and PA, we have a lot here in NY too. I'm not near the City - I'm in central NY. There is a lot of farming in this area. What really took me a while to get used to was the Mennonites. I was aware of that as a religion but didn't realize how similar to the Amish they are. It took me aback the first time I was in a fabric store and saw a group of women walk in wearing what I assumed was Amish dress, but they were shopping at the "English" market, driving, etc. Didn't realize at first they were Mennonite. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...