Hye Thyme Cafe: Lemon Mint Butter Cookies

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, December 2, 2012

Lemon Mint Butter Cookies

Lemon Mint Butter Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe

This was something else I made for Thanksgiving this year. I had seen a recipe for Lemon Mint Butter Cookies in a pamphlet at the grocery store and decided to play with the idea, having just picked up a container of dried Crushed Spearmint Leaves at the local Amish store. I wasn't going to post this recipe because I wasn't in love with the end result, as evidenced by the fact that it didn't even occur to me to take a plated shot of them. It turned out, however, that even in my little corner of the world, it's not all about me. Imagine my surprise! Other people actually quite enjoyed them and thought they would go particularly well with a hot cup of tea.  

I might play around with it again in the summer using fresh mint and cutting back on the sugar. I like the idea of the lemon and mint in a cookie, and they had a nice crisp to them. It was the mouth feel that threw me. For me, it was one of those things that made me feel like I immediately needed to brush my teeth. Apparently that wasn't the case for everyone.

INGREDIENTS :
1 c unsalted butter
1/3 c light brown sugar
2/3 c sugar
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1 t almond extract
1 T fresh lemon juice
zest of one lemon
3 T dried crushed spearmint leaves
2 c flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt

Cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.

Stir in the eggs until well blended, followed by the extracts, lemon, and mint.

Whisk together the dry ingredients, then stir into the sugar mixture in two or three additions until incorporated.

Roll balls of dough about the size of a walnut into a ball, then flatten into a disk on parchment-lined cookie sheets. 

Bake at 350° for 12-15" until lightly golden on top and browned around the edges.





Lemon Mint Butter Cookies : Hye Thyme CafeLemon Mint Butter Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...