Hye Thyme Cafe: Sriracha and Lime Ponzu Marinated Steak

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, November 9, 2012

Sriracha and Lime Ponzu Marinated Steak


I guess until I make this again to see if it turns out as awesome, this is really more bragging than posting.  J

I stopped by my sister's the other night and ended up leaving with a steak. I figured I had better cook or freeze it last night, and having just come home with a bottle of Lime Ponzu and a bottle of Sriracha, I figured what the heck. I frequently use soy sauce in different marinades, and Ponzu is largely soy sauce. I am also a pushover when it comes to Sriracha (or pretty much anything else that turns up the heat).

I have gotten into the habit of searing steaks in a grill pan, then finishing them in the oven, but I skipped the oven this time around.

I marinated the steak in a quarter cup of Lime Ponzu and about a tablespoon of Sriracha for two hours, massaging and flipping it half-way through. That's a lot of Sriracha for a piece of meat this size. It's usually one of those things where "a little dab'll do ya."

While bringing the grill pan up to heat - with just a shot of cooking spray, I drained and blotted the steak, seasoning it on both sides with kosher salt. Although I did blot the meat so it wouldn't end up steaming, I was assuming the flavors of the marinade would have penetrated. As it turns out, I really got no heat, and didn't taste the Ponzu, but after grilling for 3" on each side and letting it rest for 5 minutes, I was left with one of the tastiest and juiciest steaks I can remember. Like they say, it was "like butter;" perfectly tender and pink throughout.

I can't wait to try it again!!


Love that you can see the steam
1/4 c ponzu, 1T Sriracha

Grilled 3" on each side


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, it was, but like I said, until I try it again, I won't be sure it was the marinade. Might have just lucked out and gotten an awesome steak LOL.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...