Hye Thyme Cafe: Peaches & Cream Kadayif

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, November 30, 2012

Peaches & Cream Kadayif



Peaches came up in conversation somehow before Thanksgiving, so that got me thinking.  [No wisecracks about me thinking!]  I like to make a tray of Kadayif for at least one of the holidays, so why not try a Peaches & Cream version?  Because we always have so much food, even after sending everyone home with takeout, I decided to make a half batch.

Follow the Cream-Filled Kadayif recipe, cutting everything in half.  

To incorporate the peaches, I drained two 15 oz. cans of Del Monte Freestone Sliced Peaches, reserving the syrup.  I diced the peaches, tossed them with a little cinnamon, and folded them into the cream before filling the shell.  Once baked, I replaced the water for the simple syrup with the peach syrup, reducing the sugar called for in the simple syrup to account for the sweetness of the peach.

When I got to my destination on Thanksgiving Day, I found that there was a bowl of peaches in the fridge, so I pirated a few slices to decorate the tops.

Although I did enjoy this version, I'm sure that fresh peaches when in season would be even better.  I was a little disappointed that the syrup didn't have the effect I was expecting.  I thought that would really push the peach flavor.  Maybe some Peach Schnapps next time instead??? Sounds good to me!


1 comment:

  1. This sounds good. I think I would stick to your original recipe though. Although..........it would give me a reason to buy some peach schnapps if I made this version.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...