Hye Thyme Cafe: A Little Blog Love Came My Way - LIEBSTER BLOG AWARD

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Little Blog Love Came My Way - LIEBSTER BLOG AWARD



!!!  I GIVE UP  !!!

A few days ago, I was very pleased to be bestowed a Liebster Blog Award by Tango's Treasures.  Pleased, that is, until I decided to look into the origin of the award.  I really make myself crazy sometimes!  Try as I may, no matter what route I took in tracing back to its origin, I came up empty.  I surfed sites in Germany, Italy, Romania, Greece, you name it.  Every single road led to a dead end at either a blog that had merely mentioned the giver's first name with no link or an indication of their blog name, or a blog or post that had been deleted, or one that was by invite only.  Grrrrr!  I'm like a dog with a bone when doing something like that, so I spent HOURRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS running searches using the Google date range feature, image searches, etc.  I can trace it back to December 2010, but that's as far as I get.  Thanks a lot L!  

The reason I started looking into it was that Tango had added "11 random things about me" beneath her post, with no indication of whether the two things were related.  As I started backtracking to look into it, I was really stumped by why it was 11, rather than 10 or some other number.  In addition to 11 random facts, many blogs also posed 11 questions to each of their recipients, as well as having to respond to 11 questions from the giver.  Some had just the random facts, while other had just the questions…

The general consensus is that Liebster is a German word meaning favorite, dearest, or beloved, and the award is given to bloggers with fewer than 200 followers (elsewhere fewer than 3,000 - BIG jump!) to help spread the word about their blogs and to help them gain wider recognition.


The Liebster comes with five conditions for acceptance: 
  1. Show your thanks to the blogger who gave you the award by linking back to them.
  2. Choose five blogs with fewer than 200 followers to award the Liebster to.
  3. Post the award on your blog.  
  4. List the bloggers you are giving the award to with links to their sites, leaving a comment on their blog so they know about the award.
  5. Share 11 (?) random facts about yourself that people don't know about you.

It was tough choosing which blogs to pass the award along to.  I follow a bazillion different blogs, mostly other foodies, but not all.  Many of you/them are linked to one of my Pinterest Boards.  The problem is that not all blogs give an indication of how many followers they have - since Google shut down Friends Connect in favor of G+, you can't even go by blogs that have their members posted.  Then there is the matter of wanting to pass it along to bloggers who have not already received it. Hopefully those of you I have nominated fall into those categories - fewer than 200 followers and haven't already received a Liebster.  If not, close enough!!  Here are my picks.  Be sure to check them out...


Azara at Tesseract - Funny lady posting about a little of everything.


Joan at The Baloney Bug - I forget how I first stumbled on her blog, but I quickly fell in love ... with her dog Brady, and it never fails to crack me up that she and her husband (and Brady for that matter) look like they belong in a catalog.  They are currently expecting their first two-legged child.

Bethel, a/k/a Marash Girl - Keeps me posted on what's going on around Boston, my old stomping grounds, as well as what's doing in the Armenian community.

Deb at Just Keepin' It Real Folks - Another funny lady posting a little bit of everything.

Tracey at Linus & LuLu - Foodie, DIYer, Donut Fiend


Hmmm, OK, so about those 11 random facts about me.  Anyone who follows me regularly probably knows some of these already, but let's see ...

  1. I am half Armenian - my other half is Irish / French Canadian
  2. I was born in Quincy, Massachusetts
  3. I grew up in Hingham, MA - Home of Talbots 
  4. I once got hit by a car while walking to my office, landed on their hood while managing not to spill my Dunkin Donuts coffee.  Nice save!
  5. My "brush with fame" entailed eating breakfast at IHOP with Anthony Michael Hall
  6. I was in 26 plays as a kid (not professional - school, community, etc.)
  7. The day I was seated on the jury for a burglary case, I went home to find that my apartment and been burgled.  How's that for irony?!?
  8. My favorite play is Evita -- the movie was just OK, although I pegged Madonna for the part as soon as I knew it was going to be made into a movie.
  9. I had to evacuate from New Orleans because of Hurricane Katrina - went to Galveston, TX and had to evacuated from there because of Hurricane Rita - went to Florida and on the way back to New Orleans, stopped for lunch and had to wait out a tornado!!!
  10. I love poking in antique and/or thrift shops.  I get a kick out of the memories they bring of my grandparents' house or trying to figure out what some of the kitchen gadgets/farming equipment/implements of torture and destruction (?) were really for.  I also collect vintage hair combs, so I always keep an eye out for those.
  11. I still swear I saw Santa Claus flying by one night when I was a kid.  My Dad had brought us to a Christmas party at the local AmVets, and as far as I was supposed to know, Santa was inside at the party.  Nu uhhhh!!  I even saw Rudolph.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Thanks again to Tango, and make sure you check out those other blogs ... or I'll have Santa put you on his Naughty List!!!!!!




8 comments:

  1. Thanks, Chris! Marash Girl's first award ever! What do I have to do in return?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are supposed to follow the directions above by posting about the award and ...

      - Show your thanks to the blogger who gave you the award by linking back to them.
      - Choose five blogs with fewer than 200 followers to award the Liebster to.
      - Post the award on your blog.
      - List the bloggers you are giving the award to with links to their sites, leaving a comment on their blog so they know about the award.
      - Share 11 random facts about yourself.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, it's always nice to be acknowledged no matter if we don't know from whence it comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, and I'm very appreciative, but the curiosity still has me in its grip, so I'm sure I'll do more digging at some point. :)

      Delete
  3. OMGosh your just like me!!! I googled the heck out of it too! No straight answers??!!! I'm off to check out the blogs you pick so I stay off the naughty list!! Like I need help with that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually saved a post by another guy looking for it himself and asking someone to let him know if they found it LOL.

      Delete
  4. I loved reading your "11 things" - being hit by a car and not spilling your coffee was crazy! I went digging for the origin of this award the first time I got it too, but gave up. Congrats on your award and thanks for nominating me! I am finally writing a post on it *red face* - it should be up later tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a definite Kodak moment! Don't know which of us had the more shocked expression looking through the windshield at one another LOL. Hey, our old dog once knocked me on my butt on the ice out on the driveway and I managed not to spill my Dunkies coffee then too - that's good stuff!!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...