Hye Thyme Cafe: Purple Soup

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, October 7, 2012

Purple Soup


I certainly hadn't intended to make a "purple" soup. The funny thing is that I included some white wine and thought for a minute there that I had inadvertently poured in a red. What turned the soup purple was the Sweet Black Thai Rice. It was obviously my first time using this rice, so if you decided to give it a try, keep that in mind!! If you don't want your dish to turn out purple, you might want to cook the rice separately and incorporate it at the end. I happen to like purple. It just came as a surprise here.

As I was gathering together my ingredients, I was contemplating what to refer to this soup as. I already have a Vegetable Soup that includes string beans, zucchini, pasta, etc., and there isn't a "primary" ingredient in this soup it was the rice decided for me.  :)


INGREDIENTS:
1 T olive oil
1 t jarred minced garlic with 
   red peppers (or 1 clove)
1 lg onion, diced
1 lg carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 t dried lemon peel
1 t better than bouillon stock base
14 oz can artichoke hearts, chopped
1/2 c flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/2 c white wine
32 oz chicken broth
1/2 c sweet black Thai rice
1/2 t crushed red pepper
5-6 kale leaves, chopped
Grated Parmesan



In the 1T of olive oil, sauté the garlic, onion, carrot, celery, and red bell pepper over medium heat, seasoning with the salt, pepper, and lemon peel until they start to soften.  


Stir in the stock base, letting it melt down and nicely coat everything, then add the artichoke hearts and parsley, followed by the wine and chicken broth.




Add the rice and some crushed red pepper for heat, and let it simmer for 30" or so until the rice is just about tender.  







At that point, you can add the kale for the last few minutes to cook down. If it seems too high to fit in the pan, don't worry - the kale will wilt down quickly.




Serve up a bowl with a sprinkling of Parmesan and enjoy!



NOTES:
  • Although I didn't mind the soup turning purple, the time it took to cook the rice in the soup meant that my carrots were cooked more than I would have preferred, so I will either cook the rice separately or add the carrots later in the process rather than sauteing them with the garlic, celery and onion.
  • I have previously mentioned that I prefer my soups on the thicker side. Much like a bowl of cereal - I like just enough milk to have some with every bite and not be left with a bowl of milk at the end. If you like your soup thinner, you may want to add some water, or increase and wine and/or broth.
  • You could certainly use fresh lemon zest, or even some juice. I just happened to have a jar of lemon peel that came with a set of spices, so I thought I would put it to use.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, but actually I was bummed about that - took a bunch of pics, but none of them came out good. Either the broth was too reflective, or the Parmesan came out too bright, etc. It's a lot tastier than it looks. ;)

      Delete
  2. I see nothing to object too, will need to try sometime soon. TALU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was talking to my sister last night - we have a habit of doing random odd things at the same time - the day I did this, she made a barley dish with beets in it that turned purple. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...