Hye Thyme Cafe: Pumpkin and Sausage Penne

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pumpkin and Sausage Penne

Pumpkin and Sausage Penne : Hye Thyme Cafe

I was wandering around on the Real Women of Philadelphia site the other day and saw a recipe that included orzo, pumpkin, and cream cheese. I really enjoy pumpkin or squash ravioli, so I already knew I liked pumpkin with pasta, and I liked the idea of the cream cheese for a super creamy texture. What threw me was the thought of that with orzo. It seems too tiny to hold up to such a thick sauce. Then I remembered that I had some spicy Italian Sausage links in the freezer and decided to incorporate those into a dish.

INGREDIENTS :
6-8 oz penne pasta
chicken broth (and/or water for pasta)
2-3 oz bulk hot Italian sausage *
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t oregano
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 c white wine
1 c pumpkin
2 T cream cheese

Cook the pasta in chicken broth and/or water, reserving the liquid.

* When it came to the sausage, I estimate 2-3 oz of bulk, because I was using up some links I had in the freezer. I removed the casings from the four I had, intending to use half in this dish and set aside half to go in an egg dish the next morning, but of course I combined everything before I remembered to remove half, so there is a lot more than required here.

Cook the sausage over medium heat until just about cooked through, then add the garlic and onion.

When the onion is translucent, season with the oregano and black pepper, then slowly pour in the white wine, deglazing the pan to scrape up all those tasty bits on the bottom.

Allow that to simmer until the wine is well reduced. You will see that if you run your spatula or a spoon along the bottom of the pan, that path won't immediately fill in.

Stir in the pumpkin and cream cheese until well incorporated.  

At this time, your pasta should be cooked, so you can transfer it directly from the pasta pot to the pan using a slotted spoon or a spider. 

Gently fold in the pasta, then stir in enough of the cooking broth as required to reach a texture that you like for your sauce.


Cook Sausage
Add onion and garlic


Add wine and reduce
Season with oregano and pepper









Stir until well incorporated
Add pumpkin and cream cheese











Pumpkin and Sausage Penne : Hye Thyme Cafe
Garnish as desired
Add pasta and broth









Pumpkin and Sausage Penne : Hye Thyme Cafe


8 comments:

  1. Looks great!! I agree about the orzo, the penne is a way better choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious. Fall has such great foods. I love the story behind your blog name. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. Speaking of which, I really need to make some more Armenian dishes to add!!

      Delete
  3. This looks awesome! Plus, it's a great way to use pumpkin when you've still got some left after making pumpkin cookies, and pumpkin bread, and pumpkin soup... Pumpkins are so big, I always have trouble using all of one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the reverse problem right now - need to use the rest of this can (you're right, fresh would be even better). My sister just got back from a trip and brought me some vintage ice-cube trays. She uses hers to bake quick breads and that sort of thing. I'm thinking I might incorporate the rest of the pumpkin into a small grape nut custard and bake it in my ice cube tray. :)

      Delete
  4. Looks so creamy and delicious! I love all the pumpkin recipes this time of year. Beautiful plating in a pretty bowl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I never used to like pumpkin or most varieties of squash, but they have definitely grown on me over the years. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...