Hye Thyme Cafe: Lentil Soup with Ham

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, October 25, 2012

Lentil Soup with Ham

Lentil Soup with Ham : Hye Thyme Cafe

I think Lentil Soup is probably my favorite, which is kind of strange since I detested lentils growing up. My mother and grandmother would always boil up a batch, toss them with onions and lots of parsley, and eat it in Pita wedges. I could never warm up to that one. I always loved the soup though, and over the years have come to appreciate lentils in other ways as well, but you'll still never catch me eating them cold with parsley and onions!

This soup is even better if you have some nice smoked ham to go in it. I've been known to bake a ham just so I could use the leftovers to make soup!  If I bake a whole bone-in ham, I'll throw the bone in the pot too. If I'm freezing leftover diced ham to make soup down the road, I'll keep the bone in the freezer until then as well. If you haven't baked a ham recently but still want to include it in your soup, you can sometimes find smoked pieces at the grocery store, or you could make do with a ham steak and just throw that in a pan for a few minutes to cook through, then dice and add it to the pot.

INGREDIENTS :
2-3 T Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
Salt and pepper
8-10 oz lentils
32 oz beef broth
3T dill weed
1 can Del Monte Petite Diced Tomatoes with Zesty Jalapeno
Diced ham


In a large stock pot, sauté the garlic in the olive oil until it just starts to take on a little color, then add the onion and celery, seasoning with about a half teaspoon each of salt and pepper and stirring frequently until the onion is translucent.

Stir in the lentils, and add just enough water to cover, then add the beef broth. Bring the pot up to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let it cook for 45".

Add the dill, tomatoes, and ham and continue to cook until the lentils are tender.

Serve up a mug (or bowl) with an additional sprinkling of dill.




Lentil Soup with Ham : Hye Thyme Cafe

Lentil Soup with Ham : Hye Thyme Cafe
Lentil Soup with Ham : Hye Thyme Cafe
Lentil Soup with Ham : Hye Thyme Cafe

10 comments:

  1. Real protein soup i prefer this...yammy thanks many to share this soup recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Hope you enjoy it if you try it. :)

      Delete
  2. This would be so filling and so perfect as we enter these colder months. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bunch of it in the freezer right now, so depending on Frankenstorm and whether we retain electricity, that might be what I end up eating for the next few days as it defrosts LOL.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for stopping by and following my blog! I found your blog as a result and am now gladly following you back to learn more about your delicious recipes!

    Roz @ la bella vita!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard. Hope you stop back often and find something you enjoy. :)

      Delete
  4. Oooh it looks delish! You know I'll leave the ham out and change the broth, but I am definitely going to make it. I'm tired of my version of lentil soup. It's good, it has spinach and chopped tomatoes in it but like I said, I'm tired of that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I haven't used vegetable broth in years. I tried it a few times but didn't like it. I just stopped using it and never thought about it again, but maybe I should try making my own. Duh!

      Delete
  5. Great recipe, great presentation! just popping over from the Memories by the Mile Link Party. I have pinned, liked and tweeted, and g+-ed. I would love it if you would drop by my site at http://www.kneadedcreations.com for a short visit! I will look forward to seeing you there! Deb @ Kneaded Creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do. Thanks for popping by. Hope you have a chance to come back again! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...