Hye Thyme Cafe: Kahlua Beef Short Ribs

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, October 18, 2012

Kahlua Beef Short Ribs

Kahlua Beef Short Ribs : Hye Thyme Cafe

I was having company over for dinner last night before heading out to see Argo (very good) and wanted to try something new, so I started flipping through my "to try" recipes and stopped when I saw the Kahlua Short Ribs by Fer's Bite. I love Kahlua, especially when combined with DiSaronno Amaretto, but I had never used it in a savory dish. I did make sure to go to one of my favored butchers this time, unlike the recent disappointment with the ribs I bought for Beef Short Ribs with Barley and Kale.

At some point in the process, I found the aroma to be slightly offensive, but when my company arrived, I was assured that was just me and that it smelled great. Maybe it's because Kahlua is a coffee-flavored liqueur, and I only drink Dunkin Donuts coffee. ;)  

The flavor was even better than I had anticipated. As a matter of fact, leftovers were taken home, and as I was uploading my pictures, I was eating my own leftovers and contemplating going back in the kitchen to lick the pot! I think they're even better today, so next time I make them, I might do it ahead of time to let the flavors really develop. I'm seriously upset with myself now for portioning out the leftovers and disposing of the remaining sauce.  :(

I had to change it up a little to make it "my own," but if you would like to see the original recipe and photos, follow this link.


INGREDIENTS :
2 lb boneless beef short ribs
Salt
Pepper
1 c Kahlua
1/2 c beef broth
1 T vanilla
1 T whole peppercorns
1 T granulated pasilla chile peppers
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lg onion, sliced


Preheat the oven to 350° and arrange the ribs in a baking pan large enough to give them a little elbow room.

Season the ribs all over with salt and pepper, then sprinkle with the chile peppers. Pasilla peppers are a mild chile, included here more for flavor than for heat. They have a nice almost smoky/fruity flavor.

Add the garlic and peppercorns, then top with the onion slices.

Stir together the Kahlua, vanilla, and beef broth, gently pouring over the top to coat the onions.


Kahlua Beef Short Ribs : Hye Thyme Cafe

Cover the pan with foil and bake for one hour, then flip the ribs, swishing them around in the liquid to get them nicely coated. Continue baking, covered, for another hour.

Kahlua Beef Short Ribs : Hye Thyme Cafe


Flip the ribs again, removing the foil and kicking the heat up to 400°. Allow to cook for another 30" to allow the sauce to reduce and the ribs to caramelize.


Kahlua Beef Short Ribs : Hye Thyme Cafe


Kahlua Beef Short Ribs : Hye Thyme Cafe

For a side, I just cooked some brown rice in beef broth, adding some frozen corn and peas, along with a diced carrot toward the end of the cooking process, then seasoning with a little Frank's Red Hot Sweet Chili Sauce.


Thanks to Fer's Bite for the great recipe idea and to Marx Foods for my seemingly never ending supply of chile pepper samples from participating in various challenges, etc.

14 comments:

  1. Oh yummmmmm!! Next time send the leftovers my way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very delicious, I must try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They really were, although I wasn't sure what to expect when I decided to try them.

      Delete
  3. Hey Chris, Glad you enjoyed it. Photos looked great. Thanks for the credit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really did, and will definitely be making them again. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, you are tempting me to fire up the oven. Talu-ho!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you "read" me say I don't eat beef a lot but Here's the thing... my husband does and this just gives me an excuse to add Kahlua to my coffee. Seriously I think I am going to try this today. I hope the peppercorns won't set me back. Never mind the Kahlua.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm back, it's not fair how delicious this looks. Don't laugh, can I use chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang girl, now you've got me wondering (trying to taste it in my mind) about the chicken! I'm thinking bone-in would probably be best, like legs. I'm not a big dark meat poultry person, but I do make an exception now and again. Might have to try that myself soon. If you get to it before me, I'd love to hear how it worked out. Oh, and as long as you're adding Kahlua to your coffee, don't forget to include a splash of Amaretto DiSaronno!! Yummmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm might chicken out on the chicken. We'll see. I just remember that I'm thawing out leftover spaghetti, so my experiment doesn't have to happen today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks for reminding me! I was going to take some sauce out of the freezer. :)

      Delete
  9. MMMM this sounds good! I might want to try this for my boyfriend soon. He loves ribs! Thanks for sharing!

    TALU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're one of my favorites too. I usually make them Olive Garden style, but when I saw this one, I just HAD to try it!! Was glad I did. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...