Hye Thyme Cafe: Cubanelle Sandwich

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Cubanelle Sandwich


If you are not familiar with Cubanelle Peppers, they are a long, slender, usually greenish-yellow sweet pepper. Apparently, if allowed to ripen longer, they turn red, but I haven't seen them that way. If you have a recipe that calls for green bells, but you aren't trilled with their flavor go ahead and give these a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I was introduced to these peppers in a smaller, appetizer version of this sandwich, but I would always eat so much of the appetizer that I wouldn't want dinner, so I went ahead and changed it up to have it for dinner on its own!


INGREDIENTS:
Onion
Cubanelle Peppers
Olive Oil
Garlic
Montreal Steak Seasoning
Mozzarella Blend shredded cheese
Italian bread or sub rolls


Slice the onions into strips.

Remove the stem end, seeds, and pith from the peppers, slicing them into strips lengthwise.





In a little bit of olive oil, sauté the garlic, onions, and peppers, seasoning with Montreal Steak Seasoning to taste.






While the peppers and onions are cooking, split your bread, sprinkle with cheese (I used a Mozzarella/Cheddar blend here), and toast until lightly browned and melted. If you like your sandwiches well toasted, you might want to let the bread get a head start before adding the cheese. I prefer mine just lightly toasted.


When the veggies are tender, pile them onto your toasted roll, being careful of any attempted escapes while closing your sandwich, open wide and chow down!






If you do want to go with a smaller version, just slice the pepper strips in half and find a nice chewy roll to toast and serve them on. My sandwich looks ginormous, but in reality, that's a tiny plate. I could easily eat this once a week. Cubanelles are great to use in pasta dishes and salads as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...