Hye Thyme Cafe: Cocoa Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies with Cinnamon Chips

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, October 4, 2012

Cocoa Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies with Cinnamon Chips


I can't call these a "Fail," because they were good, but they were not at all what I had envisioned when I started. These will have to be filed under "Works in Progress," because there is still some tweaking to be done. I think one thing might have been that I could only find Quick Oats. I don't normally bake with those, but all I had at home was Steel Cut Oats. I had run to Walgreen's for something and looked for another option, but all they had was the Quick Oats. I decided to try that rather than making another stop.

INGREDIENTS :
1/2 c (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 c light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 c Jif Peanut Butter
2 eggs
1 T vanilla
1 1/2 c flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 T cocoa
2 c Quick Oats
1 c cinnamon chips


Cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth, then add the peanut butter, blending well, followed by the eggs and vanilla.



In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa - using a fork for this works fine.




Add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture, a little at a time, until incorporated.  

At this point, had I been using a stand mixer, I would have just continued, but using a new food processor, I didn't want to over-tax the motor, so I poured the mixture into a big bowl and stirred in the oats and cinnamon chips manually. Because there were still loose oats at the bottom of the bowl, I got in there with my hands at the end, to make sure there were no strays.  

Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment (didn't seem necessary when they came out, but I'm a creature of habit, so I'm still including the parchment).

Form balls of dough, about a tablespoon each, and line on the parchment, flattening slightly with the palm of your hand.











Bake for 15", then allow to cool for a few minutes on the tray before removing to a rack to cool completely.  



What do I plan to do differently next time?

  1. Increase the brown sugar and cinnamon chips (or add cinnamon)
  2. Increase the Peanut Butter
  3. Try the regular Old Fashioned Oats

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...