Hye Thyme Cafe: Chipotle and Parmesan Potato Stacks

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, October 21, 2012

Chipotle and Parmesan Potato Stacks

Chipotle and Parmesan Potato Stacks : Hye Thyme Cafe

For some reason, I almost always automatically pair baked ham with mashed potatoes and either corn or string beans. Thinking about mashed potatoes reminded me that my potato masher is one of the many kitchen items that mysteriously disappeared during one of my moves post-Hurricane Katrina. I realize you can make mashed potatoes without a masher, but that's what prompted me to try something different for a change. I recently picked up a container of Chipotle Seasoned Panko Crumbs that had yet to be opened, so I decided to take those for a spin to come up with these simple stacks.



INGREDIENTS :
1 Russet Potato (filled 3 ramekins)
Butter
Chipotle Seasond Panko Crumbs
Grated Parmesan





I have made stacks before, but was cooking for a crowd at the time, so I used a large muffin pan. Since I was just making this for myself, I opted to use a ramekin. I was surprised that the one potato actually filled three.



For good measure, I gave each ramekin a quick spray of PAM, then sprinkled Panko Crumbs in the bottom.




Slice the potato into very thin slices on a mandoline if you have one, dip them in butter, letting the excess drip off, and layer them in the ramekins, alternating between one layer with a sprinkle of Parmesan and the next layer with a sprinkle of Panko, finishing with Panko on the top layer.  


I did not bother peeling my potatoes, but you certainly can if you want. Knowing the stacks would shrink down some, I piled them above the rim of the ramekin. Also, because the potato slices were oblong, rather than stacking them evenly, I chose to turn them in different directions. If you wanted to get really picky/fancy about it, you could always cut out perfect rounds with a cookie cutter.



Chipotle and Parmesan Potato Stacks : Hye Thyme Cafe



My ham baked for one hour at 350°, so that's exactly how I cooked the potatoes. If you use a muffin pan, they may cook more quickly. It was very easy to just slip a fork underneath the stacks to remove them from the ramekins. I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much heat the Panko Crumbs packed. They had a really great flavor, and the Parmesan added a slight saltiness and held the stacks together.



Chipotle and Parmesan Potato Stacks : Hye Thyme Cafe


Chipotle and Parmesan Potato Stacks : Hye Thyme Cafe

12 comments:

  1. Nice!!! Love the way they look! I must try this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try it with white potatoes rather than the russets next time. Other people seem to make them and they keep their color better. The first time I made them, I thought maybe I used too much butter, but others use a TON of butter. Maybe they PhotoShop LOL.

      Delete
  2. Yum!!! Those sound great! I've never seen chipotle panko! I'll have to look around for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them right at the regular grocery store. It wasn't a specialty shop or anything like that.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness. This looks amazing (and like something I could actually make...I'm a terrible cook!)

    Found you through the TALU, and had to comment on this delicious post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - Are you really a terrible cook, or you just don't enjoy cooking? I always feel bad for people who actually like to cook but can't get the hang of it but know many who cringe at the mere thought of spending time in the kitchen. This is certainly an easy recipe with very few steps, but if you're not comfortable in the kitchen, might want to be extra careful using a mandoline! ;) Thanks for popping in - hope you come back again.

      Delete
  4. Yummy looking potatoes! I will have to alert my Panko loving daughter about the flavored variety.

    Thanks for the sweet comment on my Halloween flower pot.

    Lisa
    akawest.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to say, I almost automatically deleted your comment when I opened it and saw the akawest.com - assuming you were a spammer. Then I realized you were part of the #TALU. You might want to watch out for that - a lot of software will automatically send your posts to spam that way. I get a bazillion "comments" that are really marketing scams to other sites.

      All that said, hope you find the Panko for your daughter to try. I can't wait to use it on other things. :)

      Delete
  5. This looks really good--and I think I could handle making this (I'm hopeless in the kitchen). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like them. I'm sure the regular Italian seasoned bread crumbs, or even some pulsed stuffing mix would probably work as well, but I'm in love with these Chipotle Panko crumbs!

      Delete
  6. My mouth is watering! My mom is also going to love this recipe, as panko and chipotle are two of her favorite things. I think having them together will blow her mind!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was concerned at first that they would just get gummy sandwiched between the slices that were dipped in butter, but not at all! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...