Hye Thyme Cafe: One-Pot Beef Short Ribs with Barley and Kale

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, September 28, 2012

One-Pot Beef Short Ribs with Barley and Kale

One-Pot Beef Short Ribs with Barley and Kale : Hye Thyme Cafe


This is going to be one of my new favorites, at least if I buy my ribs at my usual butcher counter. I made the mistake of picking up a package of pre-packaged ribs in the beef section at a market I'm not particularly fond of (aside from the convenience of being the closest). I should have known better. Rather than the nice lean ribs I usually get, once I opened these, I found they were all fat on the bottom and not nearly as good. It was the flavor of the completed dish that did it for me, and seriously, I wouldn't hesitate to just make the barley mixture some night and go meatless. It was that good!

After having the Chianti Braised Short Ribs at Olive Garden several years ago, I found that they have the recipe posted on their website, so that's how I usually make them. I decided to switch things up a bit this time around, and as much as I love their recipe, I'm glad I did.


INGREDIENTS:  (Serves Two)
6 beef short ribs
Salt and Pepper
2 t olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or 1t
  jarred minced garlic with red peppers
Pinch of crushed red pepper 
  (If using clove garlic)
2 c red wine
1 can beef broth
1 can Del Monte Petite Diced Tomatoes with Zesty Jalapenos
1 T fresh thyme leaves
1 T fresh chopped rosemary
1/2 c pearled barley
1 lg carrot, peeled and sliced into coins
6 kale stems, rough chopped


Pat the ribs dry and season with a little salt and pepper. In a large covered pan over medium-high, brown the ribs in the olive oil on both sides, then remove them from the pan and set aside. (If you don't have a large covered pan, you can either use a pot or cover your largest pan with a cookie sheet.)


To the same pan, add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion begins to soften and the garlic becomes fragrant. You can see how the onion is picking up the color and flavor left behind by the ribs. It already smells good.  :)


Slowly add the wine to the onions and garlic, allowing it to deglaze the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil and let it reduce for 3-5".


Next add the tomatoes, beef broth, thyme and rosemary, again giving the liquid a few minutes to simmer and reduce before introducing the ribs back to the pan (along with any juices that accumulated while they were waiting).


Turn the heat down to where it is just barely simmering, pop the cover on and walk away for an hour and a half to two hours. At that point, stir in the barley and carrots, put the cover back on and continue to cook for another half hour.


Next add the chopped kale to the pan, giving it a stir if you have room. Don't panic if it seems like you don't have room or you can't stir without spilling. Just pop the cover back on and let it steam for a few minutes. The kale will wilt down quickly and you can give it a stir then. You can see how high mine is sitting in the pan.



After another 15" or so, the barley should be cooked and have absorbed a lot of the liquid, the kale should be just about right, and the ribs fork tender.

To serve, scoop a serving of the barley mixture onto a bowl/plate, top with a few ribs and sprinkle with some  fresh chopped parsley or some reserved rosemary/thyme.


One-Pot Beef Short Ribs with Barley and Kale : Hye Thyme Cafe


7 comments:

  1. Yum...I have not had braised short ribs in a very long time. Thanks for the inspiration. I would have never thought to serve them with barley and kale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever had Beef and Barley Soup, but I had just picked up a bag of Pearled Barley at the Amish Market, so it seemed like a good idea. Now I'll have to try the soup! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks so good! I usually use barley in my turkey soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used it in a few salads like cous cous or farro, but the only other time I cooked with it was with a chicken dish. That one had cranberries and pine nuts, etc. and turned out awesome too! Strangely, I could have done without the chicken there too LOL. http://hyethymecafe.blogspot.com/2010/11/barley-chicken-with-cranberries-and.html

      Delete
  4. Looks very delicious, I must try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy! The longer you braise the ribs, the more tender, so if you have the time, you might let them cook longer up front before adding in the rest of the goodies. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...